Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up cycling about 2 months ago. But, I sold my car and bought a bike. So, I ride it ALL THE TIME. If im going somewhere its 90% on a bike. I am planning for a cross country tour from Nashville to California. So I figure everywhere I go on my bike I race and pump like a mofo too. The other day I got plastered and was riding my 6 miles home and decided I would just chill. I didnt even brake a sweat. What I am wondering is...

Am I just conditioning myself to be a sprinter? Or is this going to help with my endurance for long distance if I slow down?

What are good exercises for the distance?

Also I hear all these complaints about vibration and what not needing gloves and stuff. I ride 50-60 miles a day right now. With no gloves and im not bothered at all. Should I get some gloves cause this vibration stuff only bothers ppl at 100+ miles?

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
The best thing to do to be a good distance rider is to just ride a lot at all speeds on all terrain, but it sounds like you've got this mostly covered already. If you're always "pumping like a mofo," then it would be a good idea to take some of your rides easier just so your body can recover.

As for gloves, I personally only wear them for the snot/sweat rag patch on the back of them. They also offer some protection if you get into a wreck. Other people wear them for comfort, some just for looks- it's all personal preference.

BTW- riding while plastered is just as illegal as driving while plastered.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
"The other day I got plastered and was riding my 6 miles home and decided I would just chill."

Good idea. Most "Good" riders get plastered 5 or 6 days a week.

"Should I get some gloves cause this vibration stuff only bothers ppl at 100+ miles?"

No way......Only sissies wear gloves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
"The other day I got plastered and was riding my 6 miles home and decided I would just chill."

Good idea. Most "Good" riders get plastered 5 or 6 days a week.

"Should I get some gloves cause this vibration stuff only bothers ppl at 100+ miles?"

No way......Only sissies wear gloves.
what a pathetic little person. all this says to me is "i have no life. so ill degrade you quiet ignorantly. On the internet." You must have no life. I use these forums to improve my knowledge of riding a bike. You on the other hand say things like this to distract attention from the real question.

If you reply with anything I wont reply. For me to of give you this much of my time is a privilege you hardly deserve. But I care for your well being. Good luck little buddy. Hope you find a life sometime soon. And dont be too upset that youll never be half the man your momma was.

·
Registered
896 Posts
1. gloves keep your sweaty hands from flying off the bars, and keep the skin on your hands when you fall. BTW - there was a U23 guy recently(maybe ToP) who did a superman accross the line when his hands slipped when he did his throw. I havn't see the vid, but would like to)
2. carb loading on beer makes sense, getting faced on tequila might not help your cycling. but that's just me
3. plan your cross country trip as a series of pub crawls, and your training will be dead-on

·
TWD
603 Posts
I took it the other way that he was really plastered. Like, he went to art class and was having this strange conversation with the cute girl he had always been afraid to talk to. She was nice and said she always wanted to plaster someone in paper mache and see if they could ride their bike home (it being 6 miles he thought he would do it for the time with the cute chick and all). He gets plastered, figures the lower wind speed will give him a slower drying time so he chills. All this doesn't help with the spelling exam the next day where the sly english teacher pulls out the famous brake or break question.
I know Mr Grumpy is sponsored and out of sheer guilt of the post will send you his team kit gloves, enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.