Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Opus was just napping
21,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not really... http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/med_triathlon_heart_risks.html

Actually I am having a tough time not being a bit upset at the scare tactic article that puts a significant difference between .0004% and .0015% chance of death. That is using the low end figure of 4-8 rather than the high end of .0008% vs. .0015%.

Of course if you round it off...you get. 0.00% to the hundreths.

<SMALL>
</SMALL>

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would say that your chance of death is 100%. :D

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
The risk level seems to be very low. I bet the death rate of driving to the event is significantly higher.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I don't think it's that surprising. The less fit you are the more likely you are to have a heart attack when you do "exercise". You know, the stereotypical guy who goes out to shovel snow out of his driveway and keels over.

I think the findings probably simply reflect that there are signficantly more relatively unfit people that opt to do a triathlon than opt to do a marathon.

·
F1000SL
388 Posts
Simple make sure you aren't

the 1,000,000 guy or gal.:D Also invest on a good wetsuit.
As a last resort train for a year or so and dont believe the magazine with 8 weeks to your first tri:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
a guy in my club didn't feel so good during/after his TT at Masters Nationals. he went to a hospital and found out that he was having a heart attack.

he received a stent, and he's fine. if he wasn't an endurance athlete, maybe he wouldn't have had the episode, and maybe he'd be dead.

the kicker was that he still beat a half-dozen guys who weren't having heart attacks.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
When you cook down the numbers, it seems that about 1 out of every 70,000 triathletes has a fatal heart attack during the swim.

The risk is infinitely higher than that for marathoners, NONE of whom die while swimming in the event ;-)

The language of the article (especially the headline) and some of the statements by the lead researcher, are ridiculously inflammatory. Even if you consider the increased risk "not inconsequential," (and I'd strongly dispute whether 14 deaths in a million participants can be used to draw ANY significant conclusion) I'd like to see a study of how many people avoid or delay cardiovascular illness by training for and participating in such events. I'd strongly suspect that number of heart-attack deaths caused is dwarfed by the number prevented.

In the entire population of the United States, about 1 person in 1000 dies of heart disease each year.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
bill said:
the kicker was that he still beat a half-dozen guys who weren't having heart attacks.
Considering he didn't even know he was having a heart attack, it's possible that several of the half-dozen guys he beat were also having heart attacks.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Considering he didn't even know he was having a heart attack, it's possible that several of the half-dozen guys he beat were also having heart attacks.
Actually some of them were probably dead and hadn't figured it out yet.:eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Getting back on point, I could relate to the article, not that I died. I compete in a sprint Tri for the past 6 years, its only about 400yrds swim. Two years ago went out fast as hell without warming up and felt like I was going to drown at about 200yrds out, and noplace to rest. I can see where you could get in trouble. Composed myself, finished the swim completely exhausted and did poorly the rest of the race. Last year, warmed up, swam faster and won my age group (50ish). Was definitely in better shape 2 years ago when I nearly drowned, even though I had swam for many months prior to that race. Point is, I think, swimming taxes your body pretty good, and it can be difficult to rest in the middle of the lake (or in my case, a duck pond).

·
A.K.A. Pitty-Cent....
214 Posts
I'm in agreement with JCavilia... How many people have delayed their deaths or diabetes by exercising for a Tri?
So 4 of those people had congenital heart problems, that leaves 10. Lets say two or maybe three of them were first timers, overweight and or undertrained. That leaves 7. Some of them the author admits may have had underlying heart conditions.

On the contrary the bike crash was Barbara Warren in Santa Barbara and she was a very experienced triathlete. 13 Iron Mans and she won one of them. I'd be more worried about mechanical failure, traffic, or another rider causing you to eat it on a downhill....

Or one could obsess over this and maybe even stop competing, but in the immortal words of Jim Morrison, "5 to 1 and 1 to 5 no one here gets out alive"

It's not how that scares me, it's when.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Not just triathletes--we are all going to die. Let me know anyone that doesn't at some point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts