Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to watch the Xterra traithlon on CBS today. About twenty minutes into program, I discovered why I always lose interest while trying to watch these things (on and off road varieties). The producers seem to think that showing 1-2 minutes of actual race followed by 20 minutes of human interest BS is the way to go. Just show the race!

OK, I'm done now...

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
sounds like typical US cycling broadcasting. :)

btw - triaathalons, mountain biking, cyclocross: they're all boring on TV. and i watch Belgian TV for my cycling coverage, which is IMO the best.

crumjack said:
I tried to watch the Xterra traithlon on CBS today. About twenty minutes into program, I discovered why I always lose interest while trying to watch these things (on and off road varieties). The producers seem to think that showing 1-2 minutes of actual race followed by 20 minutes of human interest BS is the way to go. Just show the race!

OK, I'm done now...

·
Registered
727 Posts
i actually thought xterra on tv was pretty good. youre right, they do spend wayyy to much time following shmucks with human interest storylines, but i still thought it was worth watching. i only caught the last 20 minutes or so-the run looked gnarly. one of my buddies from the bike shop i work at took 2nd in his age group there, which is wicked.
i missed the bike course though, and after hearing tons about it from said buddy, i wanted to see it for myself. howd it look? anyone catch it?

·
In-House Counsel
579 Posts
cmatcan said:
i missed the bike course though, and after hearing tons about it from said buddy, i wanted to see it for myself. howd it look? anyone catch it?
Apparently there was only one stretch of trail in it. Something called "Heartbreak Hill." That's almost all you saw of the bike riding. They focused on that hill almost exclusively.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The human interest overkill is not unique to cycling coverage in the US. You can hardly look at ANY sporting event without the coverage getting in the way of the event. Look at the Super Bowl- HYPE,HYPE, HYPE, football,HYPE,HYPE,HYPE..... Get ready for much more of the same with the Olympics.

Actually- I enjoyed watching the MTB portion. The wide variety of gear among the top contenders was interesting (HT vs FS, disc vs V-brake, bar ends, etc.).
Maybe I'm just too starved for any cycling on US TV.

·
Becasue you only need 1
31 Posts
I happend to be in Maui celebrating our 10th anniversay and found out about the race, so I did the 10K scramble the day before, which was the same run course that was used on Sunday. (my wife waited by the pool with her mai tai)

While some coverage is better than none, the little they showed did no justice to the course or the event. The run was amazing, fire trail running, single trail, deep white sand, deeper black sand, the "haunted" forest (which they did show a little of), etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts