Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· ironmandreamer
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone out there knows......

Just what can we expect from the entry level, bang-for-buck, Shimano 105 in 2009?

I'm looking at buying a new Malvern Star (the reintroduction of an Australian Icon). Malvern Star is to cycling in Australia what I imagine Raleigh is to UK cycling and perhaps what Trek is today in the US?

The new Oppy Legend Series comes Shimano equipped and for $2000 we're going to get a lot of bike for our money (Durace $4000, Ultegra SL $2500) but I'd read that in 2009 Durace was finally going to aero the gear shift cables under the handlebar tape and want to know if 105 and Ultegra would also benefit from this change?

The aero cables are worth waiting for as I hate the way Shimano have been doing it for years now.

One scary thing I'd heard is that 105 would be black in 2009. I hope not! Or at least I hope black is only an option and the standard silver finish will still be available. I'm riding Ultegra SL on my Felt Tri Bike and the finish just isn't durable. It looks tired and worn after only a few thousand K's compared to the silver finish that hides many of the wear marks. I won't buy a groupset with a coloured anodised finish again......

· Registered
8,000 Posts
ironmandreamer said:
Someone out there knows......

Just what can we expect from the entry level, bang-for-buck, Shimano 105 in 2009?

I'm looking at buying a new Malvern Star (the reintroduction of an Australian Icon). Malvern Star is to cycling in Australia what I imagine Raleigh is to UK cycling and perhaps what Trek is today in the US?

The new Oppy Legend Series comes Shimano equipped and for $2000 we're going to get a lot of bike for our money (Durace $4000, Ultegra SL $2500) but I'd read that in 2009 Durace was finally going to aero the gear shift cables under the handlebar tape and want to know if 105 and Ultegra would also benefit from this change?

The aero cables are worth waiting for as I hate the way Shimano have been doing it for years now.

One scary thing I'd heard is that 105 would be black in 2009. I hope not! Or at least I hope black is only an option and the standard silver finish will still be available. I'm riding Ultegra SL on my Felt Tri Bike and the finish just isn't durable. It looks tired and worn after only a few thousand K's compared to the silver finish that hides many of the wear marks. I won't buy a groupset with a coloured anodised finish again......
105 mre likley to see the trickle down in 2010.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.