Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if a Trico carrier will fit into a 'Compact' rental car? also, any price shattering
suggestions for rentals? Finally, how long does Priceline keep a bid offer in play? is it
immediate? or can they come back days later with a deal? Many thanks!!

·
The Edge
205 Posts
I put my bike in a Suzuki Esteem by folding the rear seat down. (Think Dodge Neon body with japanese internals.) Didn't even have to take the wheels off. Really impressed.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
Bikes will fit in the back seat

of almost all cars if they have 4 doors. Just pop the wheels off and slide in. In the real small ones you may have to pull the seat & seat tube off. Just take your seat pack with tools with you. You may be able to fit two bikes in.

Try expedia.com I often find my best prices there for hotels & cars.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
My Trico -rental car experiences

joe friday said:
anyone know if a Trico carrier will fit into a 'Compact' rental car? !!
I have fit my Trico carrier into a number of rental cars, but I never have tried a "Compact" -- I always have rented a larger car when traveling with the bike (most of the time the cost is not that much more). In every four-door car that I have rented, the Trico has fit on the backseat with room to spare in every dimension. Also, no matter how small the car is, if the backseat folds down, you should be able to get the Trico in. Usually rental car places want to upgrade you to a larger car. If you want a compact, I would reserve one. If the bike doesn't fit, you likely will have no problem getting the rental agency to then upgrade you to a car in which the carrier fits.

One suggestion if you are renting a car at an airport where you have to option of an onsite rental versus one offsite -- spend a few extra dollars to have your car as close to the airport as is possible. Getting your baggage and the Trico onto an airport shuttle bus can be a real hassle, especially if there are lots of other people and bags on the shuttle.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
For 2-doors

Sometimes it's actually easier to fit large things into 2-door cars, just because the doors
are usually wider, and they swing wider. I have found that it's easier to put a bike box
in the backseat of my 2-door Neon than my friend's 4-door Civic. Once I push the
passenger seat forward, the angles are easier to deal with than those of the 4-door.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
It won't fit. And in Europe, some taxis won't even take you with one or your bikes. *******s.

In my Jetta, which has a HUGE trunk, I have to take the trico apart and put it in the backseat, OR I have to stuff it into the trunk sideways, and lash the trunk down.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Clarification of my earlier post

Gregory Taylor said:
It's a big hunk of plastic, tall and wide. It barely fit in the trunk of my old full size Ford Taurus.
My post earlier today was optimistic about your getting the Trico into a compact. I do not disagree with what others have said since then. It is a big hunk of plastic, tall and wide. My post was based on the assumption that all you needed to do was to get you and the case into the car -- in other words, the back seat would be free for the Trico and you would not have other excessive luggage. Gregory Taylor is right -- there are few car trunks in which a Trico will fit. Also, the post above about problems with taxicabs is right, too. I had several taxis at BWI (Baltimore-Washington International) refuse to transport me and my Trico -- I had to wait until an SUV Taxi came along and then the driver tried to extort an extra fare from me (I said OK -- the $5.00 for which he asked, or should I say demanded, came right out of his tip). But, my bottom line advice is the same: try a compact. If it does not work, the rental agency will be more than willing to upgrade you to a larger car.

BTW: Whatever hassles you may have traveling with your bike in a Trico case, it beats the alternatives -- not riding or trying to rent a road bike (which in most places is impossible and where you can you usually end up with something that will not make you very happy).

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
probably not...mine won't fit in a late model Mustang. FWIW, last time I needed to transport it I took the passenger seat out and it fit easily...getting the seat out was easy too, just 4 bolts to remove...though this is probably not an option for you of course....

[

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.