Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I can't see any reason why the Mavic Open Pro rim/ Formula track hub wheel wouldn't fit your Tricross bike. All track/single speed rear hubs have 120 mm spacing, meaning they fit into a frame which has 120 mm rear dropout spacing.

Perhaps the person who warned you thought your Tricross was a multi-geared derailleur bike. Multi-geared derailleur bikes have a rear dropout spacing of more than 120 mm.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
wim said:
Perhaps the person who warned you thought your Tricross was a multi-geared derailleur bike. Multi-geared derailleur bikes have a rear dropout spacing of more than 120 mm.

Commonly 8 speed and greater bikes are 130 or 135 mm spaced. With the exception of the SS Tricross and the Redline Monocog (there may be others, consult the tape measure to be sure) most other single speeds are 135 mm spaced due to the MTB nature of their use. A quick way to tell, but not always accurate, is to look if the hub has a freehub body or threads for a freewheel. Older pre-8 speed (road) freehubs were 126mm spaced. Threaded Freewheel hubs are generally 120mm, but will have options for longer axles and spacers for wider rear ends.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
TWB8s said:
most other single speeds are 135 mm spaced due to the MTB nature of their use.
Thanks, didn't think about that. I need to learn more about the MTB universe, but can't bring myself to do so. When I worked at a shop, I ran out the back door when an MTB customer showed up. :)

·
Banned
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wim said:
I can't see any reason why the Mavic Open Pro rim/ Formula track hub wheel wouldn't fit your Tricross bike. All track/single speed rear hubs have 120 mm spacing, meaning they fit into a frame which has 120 mm rear dropout spacing.

thanks, so it looks like everything is good to go!

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Oh sure put me on the spot when my brain is tired. I have a friend who has a Tricross single speed and he loaned it to me a couple of seasons ago. I know he's running Ringle (he works for Hayes Sun Ringle) hubs with White freewheels but I never changed the gearing or the wheels when I had it.

You could contact him via his blog (url in the images below) and he'd give you chapter and verse on how to dial it in. You can call him Russell.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
LOUISSSSS said:
i'm wondering if these wheels http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=194 will fit this bike http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2009&spid=38442&menuItemId=0

someone mentioned something about the rear hub not being the right size and i got scared

can anyone confirm if the two (wheels + bike) will be compatable?
Why not simply drop the rear wheel out of the frame and measure between the faces of the dropout (where the hub fits) and see if it is 120 or 130 or 135? That way you know for sure. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts