Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be 78 in another month & I'm starting to have some balance issues. I bought a Catlike recumbent trike, but didn't like it. Frankly, It scared the hell out of me because it was so low. Yes, it was bright red, I always wear bright jerseys, very bright rear blinkie, & a flag. I stopped for a light & a car pulled up next to me. I looked over at it & I was looking directly at the front axle. YIKES! I sold it. Besides, it was too slow.

This is what I'm looking for.
Bicycle Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel
I've heard of a company that will make them. You send your frame to them, they make it into a trike & send it back to you. I have a perfect steel frame that I'd like to use, but I can't find anybody who sells them or will make one.

I'd sure appreciate any info that would point me in the right direction.
Bicycle Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Tire Wheel

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Where are you going to ride it? The picture is on a perfectly flat level area, like a parking lot. It would be hard to handle on a real road.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I’ve a friend in Scotland who rides a racing trike. As indicated in the photo you posted, cornering is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
I would imagine the dual front wheel would be better. If one was to really ride it like a bike, the front wheels would have to lean/align with the lean of the rear wheel. Otherwise your going to tip over, in the middle of a turn.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
I would imagine the dual front wheel would be better. If one was to really ride it like a bike, the front wheels would have to lean/align with the lean of the rear wheel. Otherwise your going to tip over, in the middle of a turn.
This^^^^^
Once you go from 2 wheels to 3, you lose the ability to lean into the corners. To compensate for that, trikes are almost always either recumbent-style (i.e., low to the ground), or are bog-slow, like old Schwinn or Raleigh "basket trikes". Trying to corner at ANY speed faster than a jog will result in tip-over and injury. At age 78, you REALLY need to avoid bone-breaking accidents like those. There is a valid reason why recumbents are often driven by the elderly.

My suggestion is to stick with the recumbent, and invest in multiple, bright flashing lights. Amazon sells a bunch of rechargeable lights with large batteries which flash as bright as the landing lights on a 747....A very loud battery-powered horn would also be a good addition.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Yea, I would stick to the recumbent and research bike paths / trails in the area. Stay off the roads. If you can't find any, move.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
I'm sorry, but suggesting a recumbent, especially a trike recumbent, amounts to suggesting a wheel chair.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
I rode with recumbents, low racers that could keep up with me, so I would not category all of them in the wheelchair class.
I don't like riding with them though, they are so low and if they are beside/behind you they are hard to keep track of for turning and moving around in a peleton. I can't see them in my mirror.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
I rode with recumbents, low racers that could keep up with me, so I would not category all of them in the wheelchair class.
This. I have known people who have switched to recumbent bikes because of back and neck issues, not because they are disabled.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Some recumbent trikes are respectably fast. But by far most are not. Same with 2-wheeled recumbents. I've got a couple of fast ones. Actually my fastest one is a highracer, with a seat height of 22 inches which puts my shoulders at about the height of everyone else's saddles. Shorter guys and a lot of women can get a nice draft behind me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts