Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
your god hates me
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A representative of one LBS made a brief presentation at our cycle club meeting last night, and in her overview of Campy Super Record 11 she mentioned one of its strengths was that you could "follow the chain" across the cassette. I eventually gathered that what she meant by this was that, unlike Shimano where the front derailleur has just one intermediate trim position between the big & small rings, with Super Record you can trim the FD every time you change cogs with the RD, allowing for a perfectly straight [sic] chain line.

Which, after thinking about this, makes me wonder: Does this mean you have to trim the FD every time you change cogs with the RD?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info..

The new 11 speed FDs are slightly narrower than 10 speed - no more than the reduction in chain width, so trimming requirements are about the same. It takes 4 clicks to cover the full range of travel. In the big ring, you'll need a thumb button trim click by the time you get to the 3rd from largest cog. In the little ring, expect a finger lever trim click to use any of the 4 smallest cogs.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Bob Ross said:
A representative of one LBS made a brief presentation at our cycle club meeting last night, and in her overview of Campy Super Record 11 she mentioned one of its strengths was that you could "follow the chain" across the cassette. I eventually gathered that what she meant by this was that, unlike Shimano where the front derailleur has just one intermediate trim position between the big & small rings, with Super Record you can trim the FD every time you change cogs with the RD, allowing for a perfectly straight [sic] chain line.

Which, after thinking about this, makes me wonder: Does this mean you have to trim the FD every time you change cogs with the RD?

ok, forgive my ignorance, but could someone please explain to me how moving the derailleur (trim) affects the chain line? Wouldn't the chain line depend on the ring and cog to centerline positioning exclusively? And how does this differ from my old Campy 9 speed which allows multiple trim positions?

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Front Derailler trim position doesn not affect "chain line", it on only affects FD cage position ... ie whether or not the cage rubs on the chain. Semantics, but an important distinction.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
thanks......that is what I thought

1 - 6 of 6 Posts