Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought some American Classic clincher wheels to use with my Scott CR1.

I have installed the skewers but they seem very long and extend past the skewer nut. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Should I trim the skewer or just leave it?

A photo is attached.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
The only problem is that if you end up with a different fork/bike, the dropouts aren't all the same thickness. My fork has very thin, titanium ends. If I trim them, the skewers won't work in a different fork. I say leave them alone. You gain nothing and stand to lose something (plus the effort in cutting them).

-Eric

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
As long as you have a die with the correct metric pitch to chase the threads I'd cut that off. Alternatively I'd put some plastic dip on the end.

·
Registered
650 Posts
DrSmile said:
As long as you have a die with the correct metric pitch to chase the threads I'd cut that off. Alternatively I'd put some plastic dip on the end.
Yeah that looks like it could cause some damage if you scratch yourself with it. You don't lose much by trimming it and you have to do something with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.