Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had 2 days in Amsterdam, weather was overcast so the light was aweful, but I got a few decent snaps. Great walking/biking/canal city if you haven't been there.

Buildings are sinking in the city creating "crooked" cityscapes

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Cool pics. The buildings in the pic you posted are indeed sinking (or at least were) and are the proof that builders have always ignored the building code if they thought they could. :) Houses leaning outward (facade or side) were usually designed like that according to the code of the time.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
rogger said:
Cool pics. The buildings in the pic you posted are indeed sinking (or at least were) and are the proof that builders have always ignored the building code if they thought they could. :) Houses leaning outward (facade or side) were usually designed like that according to the code of the time.

Rogger, the beams (?) shown protruding out of the upper facade of the building, what purpose did they serve? Furniture hoisting?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lot8con8 said:
Rogger, the beams (?) shown protruding out of the upper facade of the building, what purpose did they serve? Furniture hoisting?
Yup....most of the older houses have very narrow, very steep staircases inside.

len

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Len J said:
Yup....most of the older houses have very narrow, very steep staircases inside.

len
Spot on. In some cases the stairs are an "S" shape rather than a "U" shape complicating things further.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Is that a guy with a Caduceus with a chicken? (I'm learning history all the time!)

Like the pix, Len. Especially the first!

joe

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim311 said:
Did you visit the red light district?
Walked through it.....been through it before.....the interesting part is watching the other tourists.

len

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
rockstar2083 said:
Where's the stroop waffle shot?
JohnHenry ate it.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jim311 said:
Right, the other tourists.
Have you been there?

If not, it's a pretty depressing place if you spend too much energy thinking about what it is.....so watching the reaction of tourists is, for me, the only entertainment.

YMMV

len

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
Len J said:
Have you been there?

If not, it's a pretty depressing place if you spend too much energy thinking about what it is.....so watching the reaction of tourists is, for me, the only entertainment.

YMMV

len

I have not. I was just giving you a hard time. That's sorta what I do :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts