Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the city I had never been to before and the one I was most looking forward to was St petersburg...it didn't disappoint. I thought I understood the Russian Revolution, but until I toured several of the 250 palaces kept at St Petersburg by the Romanov's, I had no idea how much they were raping the Russian Peasants.

First, some general city Pics.

Then we took a Hydrafoil to the Summer Palace at Peterhof. A small, 130 room palace on about 500 acres an hour by bus from the city on the Bay of Finland....our first glimpse at the Romanov decadance.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
St Petersburgh Day 1 Continued.

After Peterhof & Lunch, we went to Catherine the Great's winter Palace. And we found out what decadance really was.

The main Stairway..........

The entrance to one of the smaller dining rooms.

The ceiling of said room

The room itself

Now the Ballroom

Every room in the Palace was ornate in Gold leaf......

And then there was the Amber Room. Completely decorated with a real Amber mosaic of different color Amber. No Pictures allowed, but I managed to get a few clandestinly before the Mamuska shoulder tap (scary lady).

And the Portrait room (Masterpiences, cut down to fit the frames.....oh well

Day 2 to follow

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
awesome Len

always have wanted to go. I'm assuming gold plate/leaf on all the exterior stuff as well
Fountains/Statues too correct?
yeah thinking of when the communists shot the children and the bullets were bouncing off all the jewels sewn into their corsets....

beautiful pix

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
My kind of town, St. Petey is..

That Amber Room is a blast. Gotta go.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I think we need to convert the ballroom into an indoor velodrome.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
weltyed said:
how did that survive communist soviet union?

catherine the greats place is awesome. i thought i read that that place was looted. i had heard of the amber room, but though it had been ransacked.

EDIT: yup. looted by the nazis. still finiding bits hidden around europe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_room
Yea, most of the Romanov palaces were looted by the Nazis, although many of the treasures were hidden before they arrived. Most palaces were blown up upon the retreat of the Nazis..............and then were reconstructed by first the communists and then the new Russian gov't. Based on drawings and pictures from before they were destroyed.

Len

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Awesome. Ornate doesn't even begin to describe that place. I think I like the wood floors best.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
whats amazing then is not the amount of workmanship and money to build all that, but to do it at least twice.

Len J said:
Yea, most of the Romanov palaces were looted by the Nazis, although many of the treasures were hidden before they arrived. Most palaces were blown up upon the retreat of the Nazis..............and then were reconstructed by first the communists and then the new Russian gov't. Based on drawings and pictures from before they were destroyed.

Len

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
weltyed said:
whats amazing then is not the amount of workmanship and money to build all that, but to do it at least twice.
yeah so basically the peasants got raped again by each successive regime. hmmmm...

/ awesome pix, thanks Len.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Three things the Russian people know

Kai Winters said:
Wow...what craftsmen.
Art
Poetry
Suffering

·
Devoid of all flim-flam