Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The second day in St. Petersburgh, the tour guide (who still didn't look us in the eye) picks us up at the ship and buses us to take the underground into down town....WTF? Turns out that it was awesome.....between 350 & 550 ft underground, stations are ornate and beautiful & the subway itself was fast and smooth....glad we did it.

Going down the looooooonnnnggg escelator

First station decorations

I have no idea what this says.

Did a bunch of churches....see https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=2943176#poststop

And then went to the Hermitage.

The Hermitage started out as one of the main winter palaces but gradually, as the Romanov's built up their art collection, it became a museum for all of the stuff that didn't fit in any of the other palaces. It currently has a collection that is 25% larger than the Louve......if you spent 30 seconds in front of every item in the collection, it would take 5+ years to see everything.

just a smattering of the architechure and the collections.

They really frowned on pic taking of the art...but I managed to get a shot of one of the leanardo DeVici's......

The dorrs in this Palace were works of art.

The Rembrandt room had 25 or so examples....another illegal pic

More churches and then back to the boat.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
awesome.

...again.

·
I want a Road Bike :)
4,111 Posts
больше пожалуйста!!!

Len, awesome pics...

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Your balance is off.... or your camera is crooked.

Nice pics.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All

Len

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I can't believe how ornate everything was back then. Those churches are simply masterpieces of engineering and art.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
crazy how we see so much inside the western european stuff but this goes almost unnoticed in america.

i had a teacher back in grade schjool who went to the ussr. she mentioned how immaculate the subway system was. that was the first time she had used a toilet with a motion/light sensor to flush the toilet. it sounded like science fiction back then. but she also mentioned that they were on a bus-leg of the trip and stopped for a bathroom break. "see that berm over there? do you business there."

that is one crazy hinge.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
cool pics.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I've looked at your St Petersburg shots a couple of times now - thanks for sharing, but wow, the revolution is a little easier to understand now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts