Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming to this part of FL in April... Will be using Pont Vedra as our main base.

What is the road bike riding like on AIA from Ponte Vedra towards St Augusitine and beyond, shoulders, traffic, etc...?

Is St Augistine a good town for cycling around with the girlfriend on the mountain bikes to do some site seeing?

Any other suggestions?

Am going to do the Katie Ride For life on April 22!

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very little in the way of shoulders or bike lanes from PVB to St Aug but we ride it anyway. Some would say we have a death wish. They are supposed to be re-paving it but I don't know what the dates are for that. St Aug and south there are bike lanes. PVB and north there are some bike lanes and shoulders. Nice back country riding on the west side of I-95. I don't know about the suitability of the mtn bikes in St Aug. You are not allowed to ride down the street in the historic district and the main throughfare that goes past the fort and across the bridge of lions is a very busy street with drivers who don't pay attention, who are too busy sightseeing. Take the Mtb to Kathryn Hanna State Park near Mayport. It has extensive mtb trails (north of pvb). Parking the bikes at Mayport and taking the ferry acorss and then riding to Kinglsey Plantation and Talbot Island is nice. Club rides at Jax Beach and PVB as well as area rides in St Aug. Look at the rides here www.nfbc.us

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Great info!

kayakado said:
Very little in the way of shoulders or bike lanes from PVB to St Aug but we ride it anyway. Some would say we have a death wish. They are supposed to be re-paving it but I don't know what the dates are for that. St Aug and south there are bike lanes. PVB and north there are some bike lanes and shoulders. Nice back country riding on the west side of I-95. I don't know about the suitability of the mtn bikes in St Aug. You are not allowed to ride down the street in the historic district and the main throughfare that goes past the fort and across the bridge of lions is a very busy street with drivers who don't pay attention, who are too busy sightseeing. Take the Mtb to Kathryn Hanna State Park near Mayport. It has extensive mtb trails (north of pvb). Parking the bikes at Mayport and taking the ferry acorss and then riding to Kinglsey Plantation and Talbot Island is nice. Club rides at Jax Beach and PVB as well as area rides in St Aug. Look at the rides here www.nfbc.us

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

i'll be gone but am going to do the Katie ride beofre and try and hook up with club for a group ride or two

·
Basura Blanco
7 Posts
A1A isn't bad, I live in NH now, but was in a riding group (Joe Pelle (spelling?)) and we rode from Jax to Daytona a few times. I did it more because my wife lived south of Daytona and I was stationed at Mayport.

St Augustine is nice, so is Ponte Vedra, that road (A1A)provided many a good after work ride when I live in Jax Beach.

As chance will have it, I will be down there at that time, but Apr 22 is my daughters 6th birthday and we are taking her to Disney.

I'll be hitting the trails around Daytona (Ocala if I can escape) that week. I can only bring one bike, so the Surly Karate Monkey is going. Let me know if you have a MTB.

-Dan
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts