Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in Rotterdam on July 3rd in time to see the prologue of the tour de France. I have been to bike races in the states. But I have never to anything on the magnitude of the Tour.

I am wondering if anyone has ant advice for a first time spectator. I know the prologue is a time trial so it is different than the other stages. I presume it is more spectator friendly? Has anyone been to a prologue before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
You'll have a great time. Will be in Rotterdam
as well and will be my 10th TDF. First order of business will be getting a daily newspaper so you know the starting order. I'd have a plan to get a spot early and make a day of it. Find a cheap camp chair, take a small picnic. You can also wander if you chose. If you seek to see teams and riders warm up it will be easier earlier. The crowds at buses and such will swell as the day goes because the big names will go last.

If you're traveling with someone it will help if you plan to stake a spot and keept it all day. I'd say if you can also score a small umbrella take it, or at least a good rain coat.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
I may be there. Is there a campground near Rotterdam? I'd like to go and camp if possible. I imagine the inexpensive rooms will be booked.

The Tour of California prologue is great because the riders spend so long warming up, often on a trainer at the team area, and bike to the start one at a time. It stretches out the day and makes it easier to see the racers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.