Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2002/2003 (not really sure) Ultegra rear shifter is sticking. Basically instead of shifting up by three when pushing all the way like normal it just goes by one gear and I have to press the small lever a few times to get it to shift the other way. (a few weeks ago the shift cable broke inside the shifter so I'm guessing its related)

Anyway I was wondering what 9 speed shifters would be good replacements. Should I try to find an Ultegra ST-6510 shifters (the last of the 9 speed Ultegra's from what I see) or use the current Tiagra shifter on the thinking that since its been so long the current Tiagra uses the same basic parts as the old Ultegra? Or is the some other option I should look at?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try saturating the internals with WD-40 and working the shifter a bit. Sometimes this helps loosen up stick shifters (I've used it to resurrect quite a few road and mountain Shimano shifters over many years of being a bicycle mechanic). I would normally never recommend WD-40 on bikes...but this is one situation where it appears to work well.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
hayduke1972 said:
Try saturating the internals with WD-40 and working the shifter a bit. Sometimes this helps loosen up stick shifters (I've used it to resurrect quite a few road and mountain Shimano shifters over many years of being a bicycle mechanic). I would normally never recommend WD-40 on bikes...but this is one situation where it appears to work well.
There is a reason why WD40 is also known as "Shimano Brifter Overhaul in a Can".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.