Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who thinks they're ready for the Triple on Saturday? I'm trying to taper my rides this week with some knee soreness. Thanks to the three-day weekend, I was able to get in about 9k feet of climbing in two rides. Who's ready?

· Registered
22 Posts
This will be my first one. I wouldn't exactly say I'm going to be speedy, but pretty sure I can finish. That's all I'm looking for this time out. (It will be a good way to start my second 50years.) I've done Bergen to Echo Lake twice over the last 2 weekends, (one time was after riding Echo Lake to Mt. Evans summit). I think I'm ready.

How stocked are the Aid Stations? The Team Evergreen site is a little short on info.

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The aid stations are well stocked. No concerns there.

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
I have a few advantages going into this year
1 - This will be my 5th Triple in 6 years (missed the rainy year with a blown out back)
2 - I've ridden a ton this year.
3 - This is the lightest I've been since I used to race
and last but not least
4 - The friend I'm riding with is older than me and is out of shape (for him)

I rode Estes Park via Glenhaven Saturday, and a Rist Canyon Loop on Sunday. Legs feel great.

The only real concern with the aid stations is that the first two tend to be crowded as the pack hasn't split up much.

Have a great ride.

· Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm actually thinking about bypassing the first one. It's only 16ish miles in. Georgetown is close enough that I think I can go straight there. Unlike most, I ride with a pack. I generally carry enough water and food for 4+hrs.

· Diphthong
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm considering skipping aid #1 this year. Way too crowded on the descent into Idaho Springs.

· Registered
2,620 Posts
Bulldozer said:
I'm considering skipping aid #1 this year. Way too crowded on the descent into Idaho Springs.
Unless you are really on the front of the ride, will it make any difference?

Seems like the people you are "with" would be stopping while lots of others will be getting back on the road, so it would somewhat even out.

What time will you start?

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
There's a USFS Ranger station in Idaho Springs. It's on the left just before you cross the interstate. Great place to refill water bottles and use the bathroom.

There are quite a few gas stations along the route if you need a break and get caught between actual rest tops. Downieville, Keystone, Copper, Vail. Bring $20 just in case.

· Registered
22 Posts
Bulldozer said:

I hadn't given that much thought. But, now that you mention it that descent must be dangerously crowded.

Maybe the experienced guys can give us newbs a few other tips. Good time to start. Times to avoid. Other bottlenecks. Where to save time and where to take your time.

Thanks

· Registered
2,620 Posts
godot said:
There are quite a few gas stations along the route if you need a break and get caught between actual rest tops. Downieville, Keystone, Copper, Vail. Bring $20 just in case.
Thanks!

Apparently the veterans must use these alternative resources as the official "rest stops" are a zoo?

I'm definitely more concerned about the downhills than anything else. Not that I don't feel comfortable descending, just not with out-of-control riders.

Any other words of wisdom?

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
If you want Squaw to be uncrowded, you either need to start really early or really late, and even then I'm not sure it would help much. Some people start really early and go up very slowly, others start late and just blast up the pass. No matter when you start you'll probably be descending with some people from each group.

We usually start at 6am and ride Squaw in 1:15 or so (if I'm remembering correctly). I wouldn't say the descent is dangerously crowded, but there are definitely quite a few people heading down.

I think this is pretty hard to avoid having a lot of people on the descent, there are 3500 people, and it's so early in the ride things haven't really spread out yet. Generally things don't thin out until after Georgetown.

Try to avoid passing people in the corners. Watch the people you're passing, some can hold a line, some can't (if all else fails, assume they can't). Just be patient and try to pass on a straight stretch of road.

· Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Other hints
Don't push it early - if you're huffing and puffing on Squaw you're in for a long day
Take some time to look around. The views are pretty sweet. My favorite is from near the top of Squaw down to Denver. Also nice view towards Winter Park (to the right) as you're going up.
Squaw Pass has a false summit, don't get discouraged when you go down for a bit and then have to climb again. When you hit the false summit, you're close.
Be careful when riding near the rest stops people randomly start and stop and rarely think about oncoming traffic.
Unless they've fixed the frontage road going into Georgetown, it's in rough shape, keep your eyes open. I wouldn't follow anyone to closely there.
There's a bathroom and water fountain after Georgetown as you're going thru the parking lot for the train.
Most of the time there's a headwind from Vail to Avon, it's a slight downhill, but the wind can stink when you're spent. Find a friendly paceline - there will be lots of them.
Thank as many volunteers as you can
There's not a lot of shade at the BBQ
The BBQ rocks, almost as much as a post-ride shower.
Electrolytes are your friend.
If you've never used Accelerade (what they use at the stops) on a ride before, be careful. It has protein in it and doesn't agree with some people.
One of the tents at the finish usually has a TV, if you need a Tour de France fix.

Have fun.

· Registered
22 Posts
I was hoping to make up a lot of time on the descents. I've not trained as much as I should have for climbing, but I'm certainly a lot better than a couple of months ago. But I LOVE descending! Too bad they don't close the road and let us have it all. Although that still wouldn't keep some riders from drifting all the way across. The buddy I've been training with is pretty equal to me climbing, but descending he definitely is a "roadblock". I would descend slower if I wasn't so afraid of brake fade (LOL).

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bjoneill said:
I was hoping to make up a lot of time on the descents. I've not trained as much as I should have for climbing, but I'm certainly a lot better than a couple of months ago. But I LOVE descending! Too bad they don't close the road and let us have it all. Although that still wouldn't keep some riders from drifting all the way across. The buddy I've been training with is pretty equal to me climbing, but descending he definitely is a "roadblock". I would descend slower if I wasn't so afraid of brake fade (LOL).
Bring foul weather gear...it usually rains/hails/snows around the Vail Pass area. It can get really cold if you're not prepared. I've never been too scared descending Squaw. Just hold your line and watch out for squirrels. Loveland is a better descent anyway (IMO) and it'll be a lot less crowded there so you can let 'er rip.

//worst part of the ride is the ascent from Georgetown on I70 to Loveland...if you get past that you have it licked.

· Registered
22 Posts
Looks like I have multi reasons to slow down on the descents; squirrels (the animals and the slow bikers) and it will give me more time to "recover" from the climbs. I just need to slow down and enjoy the scenery, I guess.

On my way into work this morning, on the bike, a deer jumped out of the brush, and stopped, literally, 10 ft in front of me just off the road. I was doing about 20mph. Car v. deer isn't pretty. Bike v. deer :eek: He had his velvet antlers, already a 6 point. Big beautiful eyes locked on and followed me as I pedalled past. You just don't get to see that from a cage at 40+mph, music blaring, windows up, A/C blowing.

· Registered
22 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Bring foul weather gear...it usually rains/hails/snows around the Vail Pass area. It can get really cold if you're not prepared. I've never been too scared descending Squaw. Just hold your line and watch out for squirrels. Loveland is a better descent anyway (IMO) and it'll be a lot less crowded there so you can let 'er rip.

//worst part of the ride is the ascent from Georgetown on I70 to Loveland...if you get past that you have it licked.
What makes the G-town to Loveland section so tough? Steep, or wind, or freeway, or ? It doesn't look as bad as the 3 passes.

I've got both rain jacket and pants, along with arm and leg warmers. I may need a bigger pack.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bjoneill said:
What makes the G-town to Loveland section so tough? Steep, or wind, or freeway, or ? It doesn't look as bad as the 3 passes.

I've got both rain jacket and pants, along with arm and leg warmers. I may need a bigger pack.
I don't know, but it's probably the interstate. It just isn't good scenery, it's hot, relatively steep and 18 wheelers are flying by at 65+ so it's mostly mental. Plus it's near the middle of the ride.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.