Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new chainring and had to raise my FD a little bit. It's the first time I've worked on my own FD. Now I can't get the FD to shift to the 54t. I can get it back and forth between the middle and granny fine. It won't even budge on the big ring shift. What did I overlook?

·
Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
All you did was raise it? You haven't adjusted cable or high limit screws? You sure it's rated for your application? What's your chainring range and which fd are you using?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Info

I have an Ultegra triple FD. I am using a 54-42-39. I had it working in the big ring well. I followed Park's directions for the mm clearance from the der. to the ring. it all fits and works. Now my adjustment is out of whack. I fiddled with it for about an hour and got frustrated. I figure I'll attack it tommorow with a fresh mind. I posted for suggestions, tips, or tricks.

·
Say "nuke-u-lar"
453 Posts
It's within specs but just saying you fiddled with it for an hour (an hour!) doesn't help much. It's nice that you got the gap but there's more to it than that...

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
The cable is going to require adjustment when you move the derailleur. Prolly have to loosen and retension it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
cydswipe said:
I got a new chainring and had to raise my FD a little bit. It's the first time I've worked on my own FD. Now I can't get the FD to shift to the 54t. I can get it back and forth between the middle and granny fine. It won't even budge on the big ring shift. What did I overlook?
My recommendation is to completely disconnect your shift cable from the derailleur and pretend that you are installing the derailleur on the bike for the first time. Go back to the Park tool instructions and follow every one in sequence. The sequence is important because every adjustment affects all of the subsequent adjustments. It'll work.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep.

I don't doubt the Park or Zinn info. I was looking more for "don't forget this..." type of info, or, "Since this is your first time, and I've been doing this for years, try this...." Sounds like the info I've got is the way to go! I love working on my own bike! Thanks for the posts! :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
cydswipe said:
I don't doubt the Park or Zinn info. I was looking more for "don't forget this..." type of info, or, "Since this is your first time, and I've been doing this for years, try this...." Sounds like the info I've got is the way to go! I love working on my own bike! Thanks for the posts! :)
I see that your big ring is a 54 but what are your other chainring sizes?

I'd almost forgotten but some chainring combinations don't work very well together on a triple, even with friction shifting. Years (decades) ago I encountered a few combinations in which, on upshifts from the granny, the chain would engage the big ring before it caught the middle ring. The only way that you could shift from the granny to the middle ring was to shift into the big ring first and then back down.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All set.

I'm using 54-42-39t I printed out Park's tips and started from scratch. I've got it shifting good now. A little tweaking here and there on the limits and I'm good to go.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
Why do you bother with a triple when u are only going from 42 to 39 for granny. Suspect a typo since mine is 42 to 30 on the Trek. Just finished working on a foundling Mt. bike and ended up having to raise the FD due to a taller crankset that I had to use. Also had to fabricate housing from lawnmower throttle cable to replace frayed original for temp fix. Was planning on suggesting that u check the housing and cable to the FD as a possible source of problem. Glad to hear that you got it solved. Bikes are almost fun to work on...Can't really say that about cars anymore!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts