Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a triple FD to shift a compact crank? I read a review on the Campy only about how they tested one of the first FSA cranks using a triple derailleur. My buddy has a Chorus triple he'll give me to use. I am going to use a FSA 50/34 crank.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I just use an ordinary Ultegra double on mine and it works fine. I'd think that a triple, with the deeper blade on the inside of the cage, would do a little better job handling the 14 tooth difference.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
campy or shimano shifters???

A lot of folks don't take into account the extreme difference in how these two brands operate the front derailleur.

Shimano FDs have special bumps on th einside of the cage that work with their one-click, spring-loaded slam to a smaller ring. A campy triple FD does not have these bumps. The ergo lever requires three clicks (of a double FD) to move the cage enough to shift to the a smaller ring, although the 3 clicks do occur with a single push of the thumb button. With a triple FD, it should require more clicks since the cage is wider. As long as you don't need more than 5 clicks to go from the little ring to the big ring, you'll be OK. Five click with one sweep is the limit for the left inner shift lever. FWIW, five clicks is what it takes to shift from the little ring to the middle ring on a triple.

I once tried a DA triple FD on my Campy triple and it worked like crap. Even though the ergo lever could move the cage to the necessary position, it doesn't have the same action.

If you've got a Campy 10 drivetrain, why bother with a compact crank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an FSA gossomer ISIS compact crank. It worked fine with my campy Veloce double FD, the only problem you will encounter no mater what FD you use is the you chain will rub against the big chain ring when in the two smallest cogs. I found that the 34 ring was too small and purchased a 36 ring quite cheap, it works much better for me and now only get rubbing when in my smallest cog and small ring.

Keep an eye out for a campy CT FD on ebay they come up from time to time and you can save some money. The CT FD will only reduce the likelyhood of the chain dropping on the BB from the large ring when shifting to the small ring too quickly. It does not make too much difference shifting from small to large rings.

Ride Long and Prosper

mtnb1kr said:
Anyone using a triple FD to shift a compact crank? I read a review on the Campy only about how they tested one of the first FSA cranks using a triple derailleur. My buddy has a Chorus triple he'll give me to use. I am going to use a FSA 50/34 crank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts