Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Triple-to-double ring change over??

845 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  SkiRacer55 
#1 ·
I am a new cyclist and I was looking for some advice on changing my bike from a triple ring to a double ring. What components need to be changed out and what new ones would you suggest?? or should I just start saving for a better bike?

#2 ·
well, whats wrong with a triple?

you would need to change thebottom bracket, crank arms, front and rear derailure( a triple uses a long cage derailure a double uses a short cage) maybe the shifters depends on the brand and model.
seriously , whats wrong with your triple? if you dont need the small ring just dont use it. its not that much heavyer than a standard set up , a few grams.

#4 ·
You don't NEED to replace anything...you can simply remove your inner ring and set your dérailleur set screws on the front to limit shifting to two rings (this is done all the time on mountain bikes that use two ring set-ups).

However, to do it right...many items mentioned above should be replaced.

#5 ·
You won't need a new deraillers or shifters.

If you are an OCD person:
You may need a narrower BB depending on chainline. IF you have a sqare taper BB, this is all you need to change. If you have integrated cranks/axle, you may need to purchase the double version... again, all depending on chainline and how picky you are on this.

Seriously dude, a new bike just to have a double crankset?

My 2 coins - That small chainring isn't hurting anything. You'll thank yourself when you have it to creep up that hill on a long ride. Do you want to look cool, or are you not a wussy rider like myself (ha!) ?

#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I Like my bike as is but I keep getting told I need to upgrade for better performance. about the new bike. The one I have was given to me, I meant should I just buy a newer better bike. I think I will just enjoy my bike for now but thanks again!!

#7 ·
"I Like my bike as is but I keep getting told I need to upgrade for better performance."

I ride a 2004 Trek 1000 and people tell me the same thing. These same folks also work at a bike store and have just the perfect bike for me! The funny thing is that I drop them pretty regularly in our group rides......

Seriously, keep your bike the way it is. Your performance will increase when you ride more. Yes, there are bikes that are lighter and made of different material. However, don't fall into the trap of buying something because other tell you. Enjoy the bike you have, ride the crap out of it, and upgrade when YOU are ready.

#8 ·
In a word, don't...

...do the triple to double conversion. It'll cost a bunch, and it won't do anything for your performance. What can help your performance is a lighter bike with better ride characteristics, better operating, lighter components, lighter wheels and tires, and so forth. Figure out where you want to go next, start saving for it, and in the meantime, just put in the miles on your current bike...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.