Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ultegra FD acts in a strange way and wonder if that is normal or not...wonder if the shifter wich is a triple ultegra could be defective?

When shifting from the outer ringchain towards the inners rings it seems it will always go all the way down to the smaller inner ring...so to get onto the middle one I would have to shift then from the "granny" to the middle...like it will not stop onto the middle but all the way down to the granny.

I have build-up this bike myself and tried following the recommended way to adjust the FD but It is not acting really good and have to fiddle constantly with the barrel adjuster to eliminate ring chafing...frustrating the least I can say!

Suggestions appreciated,

thanks Ron.

· Tourist
989 Posts
1- when I mount a triple f der, I position it so that the middle ring is approximately positioned correctly, then I adjust cable tension and limit screws.
2- if shifters are not brand new, spray all over the inside with WD-40, then flush with compressed air. You will be surprised at how much black stuff comes out of it.

· It's a Sledgehammer
550 Posts
Check the cable guide

I just went through a similar experience. Ultegra triple but with D/A shifters. I kept fiddling with the barrel adjusters & redoing cable tension to no avail.

Finally, I decided to put on a new set of cables and doing so I found the cable guide under the BB was broken. Have no idea how this happens, but I replaced it and it made all the difference. I followed the instructions from Shimano on setting up the derailluer, which are pretty straight-forward. The only thing I could never really get a clear answer on is how much tension should be on the cable. I made mine reasonably tight on the smallest ring which makes it pretty-really tight on the large ring.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Ron58 said:
My ultegra FD acts in a strange way and wonder if that is normal or not...wonder if the shifter wich is a triple ultegra could be defective?

When shifting from the outer ringchain towards the inners rings it seems it will always go all the way down to the smaller inner ring...so to get onto the middle one I would have to shift then from the "granny" to the middle...like it will not stop onto the middle but all the way down to the granny.

I have build-up this bike myself and tried following the recommended way to adjust the FD but It is not acting really good and have to fiddle constantly with the barrel adjuster to eliminate ring chafing...frustrating the least I can say!

Suggestions appreciated,

thanks Ron.
Assuming Ultegra 9 speed triple (10 speed is probably the same???). If stating the obvious, sorry. I have no idea what you know.

Trim - If adjusted correctly, there should be 5 positions when going from the small ring to the large. Two on the small, two on the middle and one on the large. This allows you to "trim" the positions when on the middle/small depending on whether you are on the outside of the cassette or toward the inside.

When going from the large to the small rings there are only 4 positions. This is so that no matter which trim position you are at on the middle ring, it will go to the small with one 'click'.

According to Shimano, you should not use (with a triple):
Big ring - 2 biggest cogs,
Small ring - 2 smallest cogs,
Middle - largest and smallest cogs.

If you are using these, do not expect the best performance. However, I tune mine so that I can (and do) use all of the cogs when in the middle ring. This is where I spend most of my time when riding the triple. The big ring gets used some on a faster ride (usually use a different bike) and the little ring when that emergency hill strikes. If you find that you are constantly shifting the front rings, you may want to consider a different range for your cassette or maybe even different rings.

Hope this helps,
TF

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Pierre said:
1- when I mount a triple f der, I position it so that the middle ring is approximately positioned correctly, then I adjust cable tension and limit screws.
2- if shifters are not brand new, spray all over the inside with WD-40, then flush with compressed air. You will be surprised at how much black stuff comes out of it.
Always adjust the limit screws first. These are just safety stops to keep the chain from going off in both directions. They should not affect shifting. - TF

· Registered
1,876 Posts
My first reply was lost in cyberspace. My suggestion is to go to the Park Tool web site, find the instructions for adjusting a front derailleur, do all of the steps in consecutive order. Do not leave anything out.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.