Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone tell me the difference or advantage to a triple compact crank as oppsed to a double CC? I currently ride a Giant OCR1 with a 53/39/30 triple but have been looking at double compact setups 53/34 from various manufacturers. The only advantage that I can see up front is that I might flatten hills a little easier with the 30 tooth gear as opposed to the 34 on the double. Anyone have some insight?
Thanks in advance
Darrin

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
daddydarrin said:
Can anyone tell me the difference or advantage to a triple compact crank as oppsed to a double CC? I currently ride a Giant OCR1 with a 53/39/30 triple but have been looking at double compact setups 53/34 from various manufacturers. The only advantage that I can see up front is that I might flatten hills a little easier with the 30 tooth gear as opposed to the 34 on the double. Anyone have some insight?
You need a triple if the lowest gear on a compact (typically 34/29 for Campy or 34/27 for Shimano) is not low enough for you to climb the hills you freqently ride. You need a compact if the lowest gear on a standard double (typically 39/29 for Campy or 39/27 for Shimano) is not low enough for you to climb the hills you freqently ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

You are right Al, Thanks to everyone who has posted back
Basically what I thought was right, I get a little lower gearing with the triple to help on the hills, it is heavier than the double, but the double is easier to tune. I did notice when I switched from the Stock Giant Triple FSA Gossamer 50/39/30 to the Truvativ 53/39/30. that the larger third ring gave me a little more speed at top end.
If I do decide to buy a bike with the double compact crank it will force me to get my overweight butt in better shape! LOL!
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
190 Posts
daddydarrin said:
You are right Al, Thanks to everyone who has posted back
Basically what I thought was right, I get a little lower gearing with the triple to help on the hills, it is heavier than the double, but the double is easier to tune. I did notice when I switched from the Stock Giant Triple FSA Gossamer 50/39/30 to the Truvativ 53/39/30. that the larger third ring gave me a little more speed at top end.
If I do decide to buy a bike with the double compact crank it will force me to get my overweight butt in better shape! LOL!
Thanks for the info.
I didn't find that. When I had a 50/34 compact, it took forever to get it to shift reliably to the smaller ring without over-shooting and coming off. I eventually fitted a Deda dog fang to save my frame from further scratches. When I fitted a 52/42/30 triple (using the same changer), I had no trouble getting it set up and the changes have been faultless. That 16 tooth jump is a lot for the changer to handle.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
My compact shifts plenty well enough, although it's a 36/50 not a 34/50 (14 tooth jump vs 16 seems to make a big difference.) It's got low enough gearing to get me up anything I encounter and high enough gearing that I'm not spinning out on the flats.

The redundancy of a triple and the pain in the butt that is shifting it made it a non-issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
To be honest, I spend most of my time using the 42 ring. I found the jump in ratio when changing between the 34 and the 50 on the compact to be a real pain. On a 16 rear cog, the compact ratio goes from 57 to 84 (27) inches. With the triple the change is 51 to 71 (20) which I don't really use and 71 to 88 (17) which I do use a lot. I can't be bothered having to change over a couple of rear cogs to compensate for the gap when using a compact. Ideally, I would use something like a 52/39 double but these days are long gone for me :cryin: .

But.. each to his/her own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.