Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Journeyman Wheelsmith
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've built several wheelsets now and have always used thicker drive side spokes (Sapim Race) and thinner non-drive/front spokes (Sapim Laser).

I'm thinking about doing a triplet rear lacing on a 24h Kinlin XC-279 hoop.

Since there are 16 DS spokes and 8 NDS spokes, should I continue the practice of thicker DS spokes? Would it better to reverse things and use Sapim race on the NDS/Laser on the NDS since those 8 NDS spokes will be doing a lot more 'work'?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Use Race on both sides. What hub is it?

Note that the XC279 rim is slightly offset drilled, which will result in some DS spokes being in the wrong holes. I don't think it will be a problem, but make sure the NDS spokes are in the right holes.

·
Journeyman Wheelsmith
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, rruff.

It'd be one of the BHS hubs...either the SL210 or SL190.

Hmm...I thought that the XC-279 was center-drilled. My first choice would be the XR19W since it is (I believe) center-drilled and has eyelets, but I think at 160 lbs, a 24h rear would be pushing it with that hoop.

Bob

·
Registered
477 Posts
Far be it from me to question Ron, but the vast majority of people who use this drilling lace it radial on the DS and 3x on the NDS. I agree that the off-set on the XC279 is very slight, and no one has yet mentioned it was a problem with the 16:8 (not so the Archetype, where the offset does cause some issues).

·
Journeyman Wheelsmith
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that's backwards, no? 3x DS and radial NDS? I was planning on doing 3x DS and 1x NDS. As for why, I think it'd be fun to try and see what kind of wheel it yields. :)

Bob

·
wut?
507 Posts
I had understood that it was standard practice to go radial-elbows out NDS on a triplet lacing - no? 3X DS works well because it is the same lacing as a traditional 32 spoke wheel. IMO that makes for a clean, easy, and symmetrical pattern.

Please correct me if my thinking is off, especially since I've never personally done a triplet build. I'd be curious to know how much it "actually" does equalize the DS/NDS tensions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lace the NDS 1x heads in.
The hub has a small diameter on NDS so the spokes will cross and contact each other at their thick end near the head. Which means they get bent heavily on a short lenght. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.
So I would go with radial if the flange can take it and heads out if the offset is big enough. The latter because it seems easier on the flange.

I did a triplet with a Shimano FH-6600 hub, all CXRay, 1x heads in. The flange diameter (45mm) was big enough for the spokes to cross at their flat parts so they didn't bent at all.

Spoke hole orientation:
I tried a triplet with a Kinlin XR-380 which has a slight orientation that is still too big for triplet.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I had understood that it was standard practice to go radial-elbows out NDS on a triplet lacing - no? 3X DS works well because it is the same lacing as a traditional 32 spoke wheel. IMO that makes for a clean, easy, and symmetrical pattern.

Please correct me if my thinking is off, especially since I've never personally done a triplet build. I'd be curious to know how much it "actually" does equalize the DS/NDS tensions.
You can do 1x on the NDS which will lessen the stress on the hub flange. DS lacing will not be the same as a 32h wheel, though there will be the same number of spokes.

The tension on the NDS will end up twice as high as it would be with conventional lacing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.