Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
Fignon's Barber said:
remember, we're on the honor system here, no searching the internet.
I'll make an improbable guess and say Riis.

Hinault was certainly the last to win both. Lemond rode both I'm pretty sure.
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I'll make an improbable guess and say Riis.

Hinault was certainly the last to win both. Lemond rode both I'm pretty sure.
Hinault: Back when men were badgers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
I don't think Indurain rode Roubaix after he won the tour. Lemond was out of shape in the Spring of 1990, so I don't think he rode Roubaix that year.

Lemond, 1989? He struggled that year too, so I could be off, but that's my guess.
I doubt Delgado rode Roubaix in 1988.
Roche, in 87? I don't know.
I'm almost positive Lemond rode Roubaix in 1986.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
euro-trash said:
I don't think Indurain rode Roubaix after he won the tour. Lemond was out of shape in the Spring of 1990, so I don't think he rode Roubaix that year.

Lemond, 1989? He struggled that year too, so I could be off, but that's my guess.
I doubt Delgado rode Roubaix in 1988.
Roche, in 87? I don't know.
I'm almost positive Lemond rode Roubaix in 1986.
We need some clarification on the question! Are we talking in the same year or just a Tour winner who rode Paris-Roubaix at some point in their career? I was thinking the latter.

Indurain was going to be my other guess (maybe in his pre-Tour years) but I thought going with Riis was more out there but still possible :)

Lemond or Hinault seem too obvious to be the answer. Surely a Tour winner since has at least ridden Roubaix. Maybe even Lance pre-cancer?
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
I was thinking Riis, too. Don't ask me why, he's just sticking in my head.

The question says, last TdF winner to ride P-R, not necessarily win it. But clarification on the same-year-or-not issue would help.

(Off to Google to see if my guess is right ...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
Howzitbroke said:
Lemond never won PR. His best was 4th in 86.
Right, but the original question was definitely won the Tour and rode Paris-Roubaix. I'm almost certain Hinault was the last to win both.

I believe I'm correct in saying that until Hamilton won LBL no American had won a proper classic. Armstong won the semi-classic Fleche Wallone, and also had 3 significant one-day wins with San Sebastian, Classiques des Alpes, and the World Road Race but those races aren't really considered classics or even semi-classics. Hincapie had his semi-classic win at KBK last year. Did he win Ghent-Wevelgem one year also?

Did Lemond win any significant one-day races, was he a world champion? I'm inclined to say he didn't.
 

·
Still On Steel
Joined
·
2,391 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Did Lemond win any significant one-day races, was he a world champion? I'm inclined to say he didn't.
LeMond was the first American world champion ... '83, I think. I don't recall that he won any one of the one-day classics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Did Lemond win any significant one-day races, was he a world champion? I'm inclined to say he didn't.
Other than the 1983 & 1989 World Road Race championships, the closest he came was 1983. He came second to Kelly in a 4 way sprint ahead of Adri Van Der Poel and Hennie Kuiper. Other than that there's 3rdin the '84 LBL and 4th in the '85 PR, not to mention 7th in RVV that year too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
Earlier American World Champions

Allez Rouge said:
LeMond was the first American world champion ... '83, I think.
Well, you'll have to go back quite a ways further to find the first American cycling World Champion - at least to 1898, when Major Taylor won the Sprint World Championship.

But if you are talking the first American Road Race World Champion in the modern era, then you'd still have to go back a little further to Audrey McElmury in 1969. Even Beth Heiden won the the World Championship Road Race before Lemond (Heiden won in 1980).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Mark McM said:
if you are talking the first American Road Race World Champion in the modern era, then you'd still have to go back a little further to Audrey McElmury in 1969. Even Beth Heiden won the the World Championship Road Race before Lemond (Heiden won in 1980).
We're in Pro Cycling so Lemond is the man on the road and Major Taylor on the track.
 

·
Self-Banned
Joined
·
16,905 Posts
Actually

LeMond won the World Championship road race once as a junior and twice as a pro. He also came in 2nd place twice in the pro WC rr. His best finished in the classics were 2nd place in Giro di Lombardia in 83 and 2nd place in Milan-San Remo in 86.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
i'm guessing hinault, and i'm guessing that someone else has already guessed it.

:)

Fignon's Barber said:
remember, we're on the honor system here, no searching the internet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Hincapie had his semi-classic win at KBK last year. Did he win Ghent-Wevelgem one year also?
Yes, 2001, in a photo finish with Van Bon and Weseman. I can't believe it's been that long.
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
Lemond rode support

for other riders in P-R. 1992, 1993 he gave himself for Duclos Laselle (suspension fork era). He rode with a young Museeuw as well 89-90(?) ADR, Tchmil won if memory serves me right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
atpjunkie said:
for other riders in P-R. 1992, 1993 he gave himself for Duclos Laselle (suspension fork era). He rode with a young Museeuw as well 89-90(?) ADR, Tchmil won if memory serves me right.
You're slipping!

Tchmil had to wait until 94 for his epic in the mud.

That was a "proper" PR for me. Lots of mud!

Incidentely, Lemond's 4th in 85 was one of the muddiest, with teammate Madiot up the road one can only wonder what might have been if Lemond had been a free agent.

This is a great source of info, although they seem to omit WC wins for some reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Gilbert Duclos-Lasalle was cool.

My guess is also Hinault, but I defer to the more obsessed in this forum. Great question... I've enjoyed the little trip through history.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top