Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Redline Carbom fork and now find that I must mostly deflate my cross tire (Muds and Jets) to get them past the brake pads when installing the front wheel. My front brake is a Cane Creek (seems similar to Avid). The rear portion of the brake pad is limited by the width of the fork and thus the pads do not open up wide enough to allow the tires to pass through. My worry is having to someday do a wheel exchange during a race - I do not want to have to have a pump handy.

I have also experienced this with 42mm Ritchey Zeds but was not annoyed due to the extra width of these tires.

Is there a shorter brake pad/cartridge out there or is there a way to cut the pad down to allow more opening?

Thanks.

David K

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Can you hack the rear part of the pad off so it will open? Some people have mentioned this fix. I think you are expecting an awfully lot out of your new bike to have the fork designed to actually work properly with a common brake set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kool Stop Thinline

I just had this same issue on my Alan frame. I'm not sure what type of posts your Cane Creeks take but the smooth post Kool Stop Thinlines worked for me. The profile of the Thinlines is significantly smaller than the Ritchey pads I had been running.

DavidK said:
I have a new Redline Carbom fork and now find that I must mostly deflate my cross tire (Muds and Jets) to get them past the brake pads when installing the front wheel. My front brake is a Cane Creek (seems similar to Avid). The rear portion of the brake pad is limited by the width of the fork and thus the pads do not open up wide enough to allow the tires to pass through. My worry is having to someday do a wheel exchange during a race - I do not want to have to have a pump handy.

I have also experienced this with 42mm Ritchey Zeds but was not annoyed due to the extra width of these tires.

Is there a shorter brake pad/cartridge out there or is there a way to cut the pad down to allow more opening?

Thanks.

David K

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am going to try some Kool Stop Thinlines and/or the Kool Stop Continental pads. David K

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tom's Cane Creek's do the same thing...weird

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cane Creek vs Avids

TOZOVR said:
Tom's Cane Creek's do the same thing...weird
I will pull the pads off the Cane Creeks and compare them to the Avids I have on the back of the bike - Maybe I will switch them around.

David K

Pulled the pads off and the Cane Creek (cartridge style) are much thicker than the regular Avid pads. Thus, I bet the Kool Stop Thinlines will work great.

David K.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just switched the pads (Avid pads on the Cane Creek front Brake and vice versa) and now there is much more room for wheel switching. I still will probably get the Thinline duals next fall when I start using the cross tires a lot more.

Thanks to all.

David K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts