Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my first wheelset, Kinlin xr22t rims laced to White Industries T11 hubs, 24/28, radial/two two cross.

I am having a very hard time feeding outbound spokes through the the rear non drive side hub flange. This is due to the drive side flange being larger/higher. I cannot seem to run spokes outbound through this flange without bending/kinking them (I tried with some old spokes). Am I missing something here? Hard to believe that I am having a hard time with this considering how popular these hubs are.

The hubs have been built up once before (from a very reputable vendor) in case that matters.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
I'm building my first wheelset, Kinlin xr22t rims laced to White Industries T11 hubs, 24/28, radial/two two cross.

I am having a very hard time feeding outbound spokes through the the rear non drive side hub flange. This is due to the drive side flange being larger/higher. I cannot seem to run spokes outbound through this flange without bending/kinking them (I tried with some old spokes). Am I missing something here? Hard to believe that I am having a hard time with this considering how popular these hubs are.

The hubs have been built up once before (from a very reputable vendor) in case that matters.
You're not missing anything, it takes a bit of flexing on the spoke to get it to go. What I did was get the spoke started just barely in the hole and push down on the spoke at the middle of the hub (in order to get it at a straighter angle to the hole) and then push it through. I've done it with both round and bladed (cx-rays).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're not missing anything, it takes a bit of flexing on the spoke to get it to go. What I did was get the spoke started just barely in the hole and push down on the spoke at the middle of the hub (in order to get it at a straighter angle to the hole) and then push it through. I've done it with both round and bladed (cx-rays).
Thanks! With your advice and a bit of courage I got them in. The trick for me was like you said: "start just barely", then flex and push. By the 7th one it was pretty easy.

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,181 Posts
Thanks! With your advice and a bit of courage I got them in. The trick for me was like you said: "start just barely", then flex and push. By the 7th one it was pretty easy.
Glad to help. I'm in the learning process just like you but I've done a few T11's.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
We build tons of wheels w/ WI hubs, that's the technique you use...'flex & push'. Definitely easier w/ SuperComps or Aerolites. That's really my only gripe w/ their hubs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.