Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else out there have strange pedaling issues when hopping on a freewheel bike after riding fixed? Seems getting started on a bike with a freewheel is weird, as is slowing and stopping.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
weltyed said:
Anyone else out there have strange pedaling issues when hopping on a freewheel bike after riding fixed? Seems getting started on a bike with a freewheel is weird, as is slowing and stopping.
I no longer have a road bike that isn't fixed, but once in awhile I get on my singlespeed mountain bike. For the first few miles, I find myself not coasting even though I can, backpedaling when I want to stop, and only grabbing the front brake. I think it's time I got that bike fixed as well.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Not for me.

I primarily a roadie but I also ride my cross country mountain bike a bit and I ride my fixie brakeless a lot (let's not get on that again).

I've never really had any problems going back and forth. It's really the opposite, I've only benefitted from the fixie. Even on the roadie I never stop pedalling, I trust myself and my skills more, my balance is improved, and my strength is better.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pablo said:
I ride my fixie brakeless a lot (let's not get on that again).
Irresponsible! Heathen! Hellion! Rebel! Iconoclast! Satan! Oh, the humanity!!

Warning: the preceding post may contain elements of humor and irony, which have been proven to incite anger in those who don't recognize them as such.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Whenever I switch back to a freewheel bike I find that the first few times I "coast," meaning that I'd just relax and have the fixie pedals pull my feet around, my foot rotates back about 10% of a rotation expecting the pedals to pull against me. Oh, and I have to remember to use the rear brake...

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
A last winter I had a particularly tough term and didn't get on my road bike once in three months but rode my fixed commuter daily. The first ride on my road bike was crazy strage, my pedal stroke was all funky which I chaulk up to being so used to having the pedals do some of the work for me. ...that and the brake thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts