Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trouble with my BMC SL01 Road Racer

After much looking I purchased this bike from Competitive cyclist this summer. I had read some reviews here and was very impressed in the write up on the CC website. I purchased the fully built bike with Shram Rivil and upgraded the wheels to Mavic KE.

Stepping up to this bike was a big deal for me, as I have been riding my 2nd hand early 2000’s steel Lemond for ever. I was like a kid waiting for Christmas.

New bike arrived. After taking lots care putting on the wheels, and bolting up the bars, I’m out on my first ride.

Trouble right out of the box.
Every time I shift my weight on the seat, or get up out of the saddle, or sit back down in the saddle or put the power on, creak from the streampost. For those of you who don’t know this is BMC’s way of improving the seatpost, by using a wedge type system. Did it need improving? I don’t think so. Kind of disheartening on a new bike but I ride it 20 miles anyway.

Call CC, they say to tighten the bolts holding the seat to post. Doesn’t change. Call CC, now put grease on the bolts, doesn’t change. Ride the bike again for 20 miles, still making the noise, and all my riding partners can hear it. Call CC, told to really crank on the bolts holding the seat on.

Call CC again, say I need to put carbon paste in the seat tube. I kind of thought that is something that should have been done during assembly but I find some past and smear it in. No change. Now I’m told to put on a different saddle. No change.

Call CC again, they say that I must adjust the streampost to lock tighter. This is like the quill stems of yesteryear, a real pain in the but. I think this should have been done as part of the build but do it any way. Looking inside the streampost the alumnime wedge is fixed to a carbon rod. I’m on the phone with the CC guys and say, how much can I tork on this as I work with carbon, ( I build carbon boats) and I’m seeing this as a weak point. Go ahead they say. As you can expect, the rod breaks and then the wedge gets stuck in the seat tube. ½ hour of fun to get it out.

Now I’m out of luck, because you can’t ride this without one and have to sit on the sidelines while CC sends me one. CC says never had this trouble before but will mail me out a new streampost and saddle. They over night a new streampost and seat.

New post. Still creaking. Go for two rides aprox 20 miles each and now see that the front detailer hanger is cracking off the frame. Call CC, and they say, in the build up process that SOP is for them to replace the factory bolts with something else and this one slipped through the crack.

They say to mail back the whole bike, they will take the components and build it up again on a new frame.

All this and I only had 208 miles on the frame.

On the sidelines for two weeks while this happens.

New bike arrives.
Pull bike out of box, and frown begins to form. Wrong stem on the bike, cut in the tire and who-ever put the stem on didn’t put it on strait. Not a big deal but still kind of gives the impression that care wasn’t taken.

Maiden voyage, 15 miles chain rubs/hops. Call CC and then take it to local shop, detailer is bent. Maybe this happened in shipping but once again kind of taking the wind out of my sails.

CC overnights a new tire, and 2 day airs the right stem to me.

Get new stem from CC & tire. Change out. Getting ready for ride, air up tires and notice that there is a crack in the rear carbon stay. Very small but still. Ride it 15 miles, seat post creaking.

Call CC, send photos regarding the crack in the seat stay. Its more like a voide, where you can slip a thin, very think blade into it. Once again I work with Carbon and I’m concerned so talk to CC. They tell me its just a blemish but not to worry. I’m concerned but hey its under warranty so will ride it.

Take bike out again, tighten down the seat again, this is the seat to the seatpost connecting because I’m continued to be told that is where the noise is coming from and CRACK, the seatpost/streampost breaks. (remember back on the first frame when I was told to crank it down hard. I did ask if this could happen and was told no way. )

This set up lasted 30 miles before it was not ride-able.

Called CC, told I could return the bike for a full refund or a different frame.

Now back on the hunt for a new bike.

CC did stand behind this bike all the way and spent a fortune overnighting me replacement parts. They did try to make this better for me. Draw the conclusions that you will but in my option the BMC quality control was not there.

I was hoping to post a review on the bike, but I never once in 250+/- of riding had a ride where I wasn’t dealing with a problem on the bike. I never got to truly try the bike out.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ok i'll tell you how to get rid off the creak in the seat post. This is a well known issue anyways ok? The guys posted and i did posted a solution in the BMC thread.

1 take the seat post out

2 go to the a phone store or best buy, Radio shack or whatever and get the biggest PDA screen protectors they have. Get 2 sets so you have extras.

3 put a piece in the "back" of the seat post, around the area where the seatpost and the seat tube meets.The pda screen is sticky so take all the bubbles out, u wont even see the tape, I cut mine to match the seat tube shape. With one piece of screen protector you will have to cover like 50% of the seatpost so that will be enough.

4 Put another piece inside the seat tube around the same area, obviously make it look neat and cut the edge to match the seatpost shape.

5 Put the seat post back in, done!.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Other issues that apparently u have.

The seatpost works and there is no way to crank it up more than actually is. The system works the problem u got was that the moron at CC u talked to did not know the bike/frame and probably did not know a way to fix it. Some times u have to go and email the BMC USA rep to get the stuff fixed, the bike rocks man, really.

Let me see, the crack in the carbon seat stays? u know that the carbon in there is nude carbon or raw carbon or whatever u want to call it right? i as just wondering of the cut u say is there has clear over of or not? i mean, can you actually put a blade in there or you clear is protecting it? probably a layer of carbon is not in place but that does not mean that is not compact piece of carbon, besides the seat stays work compressed so i doubt you will have a problem with them ever.

Other stuff u need to do if your saddel refuse to stay in position and u might get a creak in there too (common in any bike anyways), take the bolts out, u have two pieces of aluminum, take the bottom one out and sand it a little bit with heavy grit sand paper, put some carbon compound grease thing also in there, grease the bolts, put it back together, done.

The darn bike is so stiff that if your quick releases are all they will start creaking too. Just letting you know because it happened to me with the front one. QRs now a days are made of plastic, after a few months or years the plastic gets old and u get a darn creak sound that u swear it is coming from the BB area. So crank the QRs as much as possible in the front and in the back.

I have heard people putting electrical tape in the seat post in the same place i was telling you, just put it in the seat post, not in the frame. Electrical tape is thick, and obviously just a little piece in the back edge, do not put all the way down ok? Actually im using medial sticky tape that is thin and resistant, the only issue i have with that is that is not black but white. The tape or the screen protector with the time will need to be replaced but that makes sense i guess. Have a friend in miami, we got the same bike almost at the same time, he has not changed the screen protector in at least 6 months, after i told him the solution to the problem the creak went away 100%

I see they fix you the problem with the FD, thats an easy fix just change the bolts with rivets. People started complaining about the FD hanger falling off and they decided to put rivets, personally i have not have any problems with it but i might, my miami friend is doing racing with it and another guy from NY is racong too and they had not have the problem with the FD hanger. The creak noise in the seatpost? yes i give you that one because got me puzzled the 1st 5 days i used the bike then i figure it out :)

I'm telling you the bike rocks.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Enjoy the bike.

For a moment there, this reminded me of the Camaro's from the 90's. Squeaks, rattles...but it did drive fine for a Camaro. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
You could also cut down your seatpost as well. The problem that a lot of people have is that the area around the seatcollar is where the pressure is on the seatpost, but farther down the seat tube you won't have the same type of pressure applied to the seatpost because all the clamping force is up top. This leads to a tiny bit of play between the seatpost and seat tube that can cause squeaking. Cutting the seatpost down can sometimes take care of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think cutting down the streampost would work well, and really isn't something one should have to do on a new bike. Also because this works like an old quil (SP) stem of yesteryear, with a wedge type clamp, you would have to cut the tube at the right angle and then somehow get your hands on the internal carbon rod that is the right length. Once again, not even sure if it could be done.

Regardless as in the above post, sent the bike back and I'm now on the hunt for something else.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
ultraman6970 said:
I'm telling you the bike rocks.
Dunno about that, but according to the OP's description it sure does creak and crack!! :eek:

OP: I would've done as you have - gotten a full refund and looked elsewhere. IMO the worse part is when CC assesses the CF 'flaw' just from a pic and tells you to ride the bike. Beyond that, BMC has some work regarding their QC. Judging from a number of posts here on RBR, this isn't an isolated incident.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
ouch. I'm sure you're pissed but you're taking it a lot better than I would have. I probably would have returned it, or at least flown off the handle trying to, much further on in the process.

I can't believe another poster said what you "need" to do. Please.

If there's any silver lining I suppose this scenario is better than having things go south gradually. At least you can wash your hands of it fairly quick.

Anyway, good luck with the search for something else.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Jay Strongbow said:
As opposed to someone who enjoys repairing defects on a brand new expensive bike? Kind of a weird statement to make here IMO.
not clear that there was really any 'defects' - it was a creaking seatpost and some minor adjustment issues that started it off. What seems clearer is that the poster doesn't know much about bikes or working on them and so would have been better off buying from a local shop to get this work done there. Maybe he does know how to work on bikes, but seeing as he misnamed basic parts makes me wonder (e.g., referring to derailleur as 'detailer' twice).

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
stevesbike said:
not clear that there was really any 'defects' - it was a creaking seatpost and some minor adjustment issues that started it off. What seems clearer is that the poster doesn't know much about bikes or working on them and so would have been better off buying from a local shop to get this work done there. Maybe he does know how to work on bikes, but seeing as he misnamed basic parts makes me wonder (e.g., referring to derailleur as 'detailer' twice).
Points taken, but it seems to me that CC wasn't clear that there were any defects either, since they didn't tell the OP to ship the frame back for examination. IME that's standard procedure when dealing with CF issues, no matter the brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My post here is and only is to show my experience with the BMC SL01. Many may have different or possibly similar experience, but this post was just to show my experience only. You are free to draw any conclusions that you want.

I happen to live in a place with out a BMC dealer and hence purchased through the mail.

(the fact that I posted a message and didn’t run it through spell check, I fail to see how that has any reflection on my knowledge or lack of knowledge of bikes.)

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
stevesbike said:
. What seems clearer is that the poster doesn't know much about bikes or working on them and so would have been better off buying from a local shop to get this work done there. Maybe he does know how to work on bikes, but seeing as he misnamed basic parts makes me wonder (e.g., referring to derailleur as 'detailer' twice).
Wow, That is a strange thing to infer from a typo.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
kiwisimon said:
Wow, That is a strange thing to infer from a typo.
FYI, that's not a typo. It was the wrong word (spelled the same way twice) for a part. I can understand the OP's frustration, but I suspect much of it could have been solved easily by an experienced mechanic (hence the suggestion to buy from a shop). E.g., did he grease the actual bolt as opposed to just tightening it down - often creaks come from dry bolts. Did he use some carbon paste on the seatpost? Chain rub is a 30 second fix that can be done on the road. If you need to call about these, you'd be better off with a local shop. If anything the post shows the lengths CC went to try to fix the issues.

·
No Bonk Zone
317 Posts
Just imagine had this post been about a bike purchased from Bikesdirect and had the same problems. :yikes:

We would have never heard or seen the end of this thread from all the detractors, haters, and naysayers who pop out of the woodwork and line up to take their potshots... :10: :incazzato: :cryin:

To the OP, sorry for your troubles, but in the end you did the right thing by sending that lemon back to CC... Wish you luck with your next bike purchase.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear you've had the issues you've had with yours. Mine started out with issues, but it was due to an incompetent builder - I bought the frameset and got my components swapped from my old bike to the new frame. Once I took it to a competent tech, the bike has been excellent since.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
A "review" like this one from mainebike is worth it's weight in gold.

Of course, the silver lining in this cloud is how well you were treated by Competitive Cyclist. I'm sure there was some behind the scenes cussing going on, but they stood behind their products and offered you a refund without a fight. Good on 'em, I say.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is sad the op didnt ask before about his problems with the bike. Many brands have issues, colnago, pinarellos even some cervelos are a PITA some times it is a thing of looking at the cervelo subforum and in other forums too, but he asked like zillions of days after or he could have gotten a solution that is pretty simple to a simple problem. The darn creak noise it is a simple solution.

In other forums people asked right away or we just started talking about the problem but all cool, the other thing is that I dont know how good the OP is with mechanics and how many bike he had gotten before the BMC, looks like only one so it makes sense after all but well, when u do not know what to do obviously u get fed up with the problem and lets recognize it, CC sucked big time with the OP.

Personally this frame is one of the best i have gotten and it is in its own class, i have gotten ridleys, pinas, a colnago like 25 years ago, miyatas i even have a cheap a$$ kuota kharma that climbs awesome (even with this one i had to figure it out a few creaks also) and now i left the kharma hanging after i got the bmc frame.

Nothing is perfect but since i do my own mechanics and i even build my own wheels i have learn to figure it out stuff before going with a moron that knows less than me (been doing stuff since im 12 y/o ).

For example I would be pissed off if the paint in a super expensive trek cracks before a year. But the bmc is a non expensive bike, but it rides like an expensive one thats what i call the best bang for your money.

If the op wants to play safe the ridley compact is an awesome bike also and cost even less than the BMC, besides it is aluminum so he is playing safe big time.

Never get frustrated with a bike, usually it is an issue with the guy who puts the bike together like happened to somebody else and to the OP, and always come to the forums to ask opinions because in the case of the op, the CC costumer service didn't know what to do with the seat post, if the seatpost had gotten fixed the 1st day the op could have go longer in the patience dept. Always ask in forums 1st, always.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.