Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alter Ego said:
Very interesting indee, I've never seem so much of the "real Mexico". I'm saving some of the pic for later. I'm kind of curious, what is it exactly you do for a living?
I'm a graphic designer but mainly work as a web developer and programmer. I've taking advantage of the highly portable nature of my job to grab the bike and tour around for some years now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but I recall reading some reports of people cycling in Mexico and have some real problems with crime...bandits in the desert kind of stuff...

Are you aware which areas are "safe" and which areas are riskier?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anish said:
Excuse my ignorance, but I recall reading some reports of people cycling in Mexico and have some real problems with crime...bandits in the desert kind of stuff...

Are you aware which areas are "safe" and which areas are riskier?
Well, all of baja felt completely safe, you can just pull over and camp almost anywere in the desert or you can get to a beach and much better.

The only part of my tour where I felt like there was certain risk is down in the southern Michoacán and Guerrero. You see truckloads of heavily armed federal police patrolling the roads. I talked with one of them and he told me that it is usually the people that live up in the mountains who have firearms and sometimes come down to the towns for the local parties and dances, they drink and then you have local squabbles turning into shootings. Anyway, it seemed to me the armed people would be far from interested in bothering tourists much less in some weird bicycle tourers on the road.

In my view, the only high risk place for bandit or robber encounters would be the city of Acapulco, so try not to stay there and if you do stay in a nice hotel, I think that would be about it... I think drug trafickers on the road would be also far from interested in bothering a bike tourer.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Very nice pictures and story. I like how you just set up camp where you can.
That sounds like it was always an adventure and an element of excitement not knowing what the next day was going to hold.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
A great story. A great adventure. Great pictures.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.