Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cat 6
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got myself a full-size truck and want to set it up for bike trips- both road and MTB. I have a set of the Saris Traps Fork Mounts I picked up at a swap meet a few years ago I plan on using- just not sure how I'm going to mount them. I'd like to see some pics of how people have mounted their bikes in the back of their truck beds or on top of a bed toolbox, which I've considered. But I have a short bed and don't want to give up bed space to a tool box. Another friend suggested just bolting them to a wooden pallet and pulling the pallet out of the truck when it's not being used. Just want to see what other people have done to get some ideas.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
I screwed together two lengths of 2x6 (one would work, but I wanted a little extra weight) and mounted the fork mounts -- for three bikes -- on that. I cut it to length to fit in the cutouts about half-way between the bed of the truck and the top of the side rails. That height made it a bit easier to put bikes on than if it was just lying in the bottom of the bed.

When I need the "rack" out of the way to haul other cargo, it was easy to just reach in and lift it out. Quick, easy, etc.

·
Cat 6
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, that's something I'm looking at doing. How do you have it "seated" in the truck bed? or did to bolt to the bed somehow? Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Probably a silly question but I have been thinking of getting those fork mounts for my tool box as well, So is that solely what ties down the bike or do you do anything with the rear wheel?

·
Cat 6
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was not planning on anything for the rear wheels. Forks only. I saw a rig once- it was a classic military style HUMVEE with a mounts bolted to a roll bar. The bike just hung off the back of the truck. At least mine will be in the truck bed!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
On my old truck I bolted two fork mounts to a 4x4 cut to fit the width of the bed very tight. I also screwed two short lengths of 4x4 perpendicular to the main 4x4. This filled in the empty space between the front of the bed and the fender wells. There was no movement side to side or front to back. This was on a truck with a 6 foot bed. My new truck has a 5 foot bed so I had to make a new mount.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
My bed liner has vertical slots about a foot back from the front of the bed. I set a 2x4 or 2x6 in those with the fork mounts screwed into the top of it. It is only secured by the slots and gravity. I secure the bikes via the fork mount only and put the front wheels in front of the handlebars. If I need to leave the bikes, a long cable through the wheels and rear triangles, then locked to a tie-down anchor, makes sure everything is where I left it when I return.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I used this setup for years and it worked great for me. I could still use the full bed and close & lock the bed cover with bikes on there. I could also pull the rack off in less than 5 minutes if i needed to haul something big.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I put two fork mounts on a 2x4 cut to fit into some slots in my bed liner. It costs about $40 and worked amazing.

Tip: Don't just use wood screws to attach the fork mounts. Drill holes and use nuts and botls with some washers for a nice, snug fit. I tried wood screws first and they eventually backed out and my buddy's bike fell over as a result. With the nuts and bolts though, it'd take and act of God for those things to come off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is what I did. originally the fork mounts were bolted directly to the wood. I wanted to be able to move them around depending on the types of bikes I was carrying, so I added the unistrut material and the mounts can now be adjusted. In the back I have a 1x6 that has mounts to hold the front tires spaced between the rear of the bikes.

I also added a turnbuckle with hook on each end that hooks into the anchor mounts on the truck bed and when tighted holds the board in place. To secure the bikes from theft I use a python lock that goes through the rear of the frame, rear wheel and front tire and the anchor mount of the truck bed.

View attachment 282524

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just use a 2 x 8 with two fork mounts bolted to it. The 2 x 8 sits snuggly between the wheel wells and a contour in the bed liner. My bike has 23c tires which sit in the grooves of the liner keeping the back end of the bike in place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a metal rack that fits in the six holes,it also follows the rear of the cab,like a roll bar.I have the fork mounts bolted on the rack. I sell large truck tires,so I've had these racks on my trucks for twenty years. My newer truck is a four door 3500 Dodge diesel, so now I just throw the bike in the rear,don't even have to take a wheel off.

135 Posts
My last truck had a Thule system which I could fit five bikes on and still have plenty of room in the box for my 100gal aux fuel tank and tool box...

My current truck has a Sarris fork mount system near the front of the cab...it's also a MegaCab truck, I can fit three road bikes in the back seat where they are safe from the elements and most importantly, sticky fingers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.