Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first off, does anyone know if the starter solenoid on a 85 Chevy S-10 is actually attached to the starter? The solenoid is completley shot, and I want to know if I need an entire new starter or not. I went to the auto parts store by my house and the fascists there want me to buy the book (rather than just let me look at it) or charge me to fix the entire thing.

Second... I just rode to work (not that far, only about 4 miles) on my fixie because I took the pedals off my Volpe for the fixie (just got new pedals yesterday... have no wrench... yeah, I know). I've got the worst head cold I can ever remember having in my adult (I'm 24... ha!) life. Anyone know of a secret to make me not want to jab a giant air hole in my forehead to relieve the pressure? Drugs don't seem to work... other than NyQuill, if only because of its ability to put me out faster than a bottle of Black Label.

Anything would be great. Thanks everyone...

joe

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,406 Posts
Almost all cars (trucks?) have the starter solenoid on the starter.
Look for a Chiltons (or whatever) at a library. Some solenoids can be taken off the starter, with the starter still installed, other have to be removed with the started before you start working on it.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MR_GRUMPY said:
Almost all cars (trucks?) have the starter solenoid on the starter.
Look for a Chiltons (or whatever) at a library. Some solenoids can be taken off the starter, with the starter still installed, other have to be removed with the started before you start working on it.

So do you think I'll need an entire new starter, or just the solenoid?

joe

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
With a socket set, you can remove the entire starter assembly in a matter of minutes. I'm going to assume that the starter is mounted like it was on my RX-7 and Prelude, two cars with less room under the car, than say, a Chevy S-10.

Once you pull the starter solenoid or assembly, you can usually have it tested for free at your local Pep-Boys or Autozone.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Afrin for three days ONLY.

I repeat, don't use it for longer than 3 days or you'll screw up your sinus'.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
I've removed and installed starters on a 91 ford explorer and an early 90's F150, both had the starter and solenoid together I think. Either way they are way simple and quick to remove if you have a socket set, takes about 10min probably to remove and reinstall.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
a large crescent wrench can make a good pedal wrench. also you can always do the ole pound on it with a hammer trick (starter solenoid) if it is accessable. lastly sometimes the rebuilt starters (when they don't do a good job)are only good for a day or two(just be aware of this). On my 77 VW solenoid&starter were attached and you replaced them as a unit. hope you feel better, at least your somewhere warm.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
spyderman said:
Afrin for three days ONLY.

I repeat, don't use it for longer than 3 days or you'll screw up your sinus'.
Up to one week is fine, still got the sinuses functioning AOK.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
If you have a socket set and half a brain, you can replace it yourself in less than 60 minutes.

If you know something about wiring, and can find a solenoid (only), and have a bench fixture, sure, you can pull the starter off, pull it apart, remove the solenoid, solder a new one in, bench-test it, and re-install it. From your original post, though, I doubt you can do any of these tasks. So go out and buy a Haynes manual (Chilton's guides suck, BTW), and fix it yourself for less than, oh, maybe $120.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave_Stohler said:
If you have a socket set and half a brain, you can replace it yourself in less than 60 minutes.

If you know something about wiring, and can find a solenoid (only), and have a bench fixture, sure, you can pull the starter off, pull it apart, remove the solenoid, solder a new one in, bench-test it, and re-install it. From your original post, though, I doubt you can do any of these tasks. So go out and buy a Haynes manual (Chilton's guides suck, BTW), and fix it yourself for less than, oh, maybe $120.

I'm not much when it comes to fixing anything on cars. Thank god my dad is though.

thanks for the info guys,

joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts