Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a true 700x27ish tire. I am looking to fit some bigger tires for some dirt roads on my IF Crown Jewel Ti with an Ouzo Pro fork. If's will fit up to a 28 tire, but a lot of tire sizing is not accurate. Any real experiences?
thanks

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
tele said:
a lot of tire sizing is not accurate. Any real experiences?
thanks
No kidding. I just measured two tires with my vernier caliper -

Continental Grand Prix 4 Season Vectran - advertised 28mm, actual 25.4mm.
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX - advertised 25mm, actual 26mm.
Both on OpenPro rims.

I bought the 4 Season for my dirt road bike and really wanted a true 28mm tire. Oh well. :confused:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Michelin pro Race 3s Advertised 25 mm: measured 27 mm
Pro Race 3s Advertised 23 mm: measured 24 mm
Schwalbe Ultremo R1 Advertised 25 mm: measured 24 mm
Conti gp 4000 (not 4000S): Advertised 25 mm: measured 24.75
GP 4 season Advertised 28 mm: measured 26 mm

All on Open Pro rims

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Continental GP 4000

tele said:
I am looking for a true 700x27ish tire. I am looking to fit some bigger tires for some dirt roads on my IF Crown Jewel Ti with an Ouzo Pro fork. If's will fit up to a 28 tire, but a lot of tire sizing is not accurate. Any real experiences?
thanks
For reference, Continental GP 3000 23 mm measured 23 mm for me. GP 4000 23 mm measure 23.5 mm. I know it's not what you asked, but those are the only tires I have accurately measured. Measurements were on Velocity Aerohead rims - rim choice can make a difference.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I have some Panaracer CTX 732 tires that I use in the winter, when there's a lot of sand on the roads here. Nominally 32 mm, they measure 28 mm wide on my open pro rim. They have a significant tread on the edges, and they work pretty well on rough surfaces. I recently put them on for a week at Martha's Vineyard, and they handled loose sand roads adequately. They're cheap tires, but they feel like they roll pretty well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Get some French-made Michelin Krylions labeled 25mm - they're actually 27mm. Good luck finding these, though, since Michelin has them made in Asia now. Now true to label.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Your tire width is going to vary depending on rim width. Same for tire height. A wider rim will make the tire shorter and wider. Just l ike the ghetto low profile tires from the 80's. Cant afford 50 series tires, so you buy tires that are too narrow for the rim width and they ride lower.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the help guys.
i probably will try to convert some Aerohead rims. I was going to try the GP 4 seasons in a 28 since they seem to run small but might look around for some others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts