Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was on this morning's Steep and Cheap email

"In Salt Lake City some people literally don't lock up their bikes. I'd go to the library and there'd be a whole corral of bikes by the entrance just resting on their kickstands. It was really confusing the first time I saw it because I didn't know what was holding them up; it looked like a modern art piece, and frankly, I thought it fit in pretty well with the design ascetic of their fantastic library. I compulsively locked up my bike is Salt Lake in spite of the free spirit so many cyclists there exhibited. I've only had one bike stolen, and it was in fourth grade when I left it unlocked. I'm not sure if it was taken out of my garage or, more likely, I rode it to school in the morning and then walked home after class because I'd forgotten that I'd ridden it there. Either way, not locked up."

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Salt Lake City is not small town homogenous Mormonville. It's a big city, with about half of the populaiton being Mormon, with big city probelms, such as Polynesian gang activities (from what I've read).

You can leave your bike unlocked in lots of places throughtout the country, for short periods of time, but it's a bad idea. I lived in Greeley, Colorado and would leave an old Cannondale 10 speed unlocked on the streets and in front of my apartment, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't have stolen my nicer bikes i the same situation.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wouldn't leave my bike unlocked in SLC (or anywhere else)

I don't know where this article is coming from -- I've never seen bikes of any value sitting unlocked in SLC or anywhere else. I've lived here for about 6 years (came from Portland, Or), and it seems that crime levels are pretty much the same as anywhere else I've lived -- true, Portland doesn't have a high crime level overall, either, but SLC is pretty much just like any other city, as far as crime goes. It is a fantastic place to live if you like to ski and bike, however!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Lock your bike. Heck, I had my car broken into at an access point for the Jordan River Parkway right in Salt Lake at 6:00 pm last Saturday while we were on a little family ride. Someone broke the front passenger window out and rummaged through it in broad daylight, right next to a busy street. By the cop's reaction, it is a frequent occurrence at that particular lot. Unfortunately, we have crooks here just like anywhere else.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Well now I know exactly how I can start my own used bike business! Muahahhahaha. They will pay for their bike sins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.