Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
We used to have really goofy cars out here by the name of DAF, good thing about them was the CVT system that allowed them to drive as fast in reverse as in forward. Reverse DAF races were the height of motor entertainment in the 70's and early 80's here. :)

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I remember when DAF tried to get into the American market with the DAF Daffodil. The name alone killed any chance of selling them.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Another sign; the good ole boys are allowing a Toyota, of all things, to race next year. What's next, a Kia??

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
MikeBiker said:
I remember when DAF tried to get into the American market with the DAF Daffodil. The name alone killed any chance of selling them.
Yeah, well, they nearly went bankrupt and got bought by Volvo. They somehow got the image of being a "granny car". I wonder why? :rolleyes:

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I know that. Sarcasm doesn't translate very well on the 'net:rolleyes:

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Toyotas have been in Nascar for years....

Kram59 said:
Another sign; the good ole boys are allowing a Toyota, of all things, to race next year. What's next, a Kia??
in the Craftsman Truck Series. Most if not all Toyotas are now built stateside with American labor. They are just as legit as at least one of the tradtional big boys who is now owned by an overseas company (Benz). Toyota just happens to be owned by an Asian company instead of a Euopean one. :rolleyes:

Pb

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Could have done it 30 years ago with Wendell Scott

lousylegs said:
NASCAR is starting a diveristy campaign.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/5319378

I covered NASCAR off and on in the '70s, and there was a black driver named Wendell Scott who pretty much built his cars in his garage and ran them on nickels and dimes. He probably had some talent, but he was so outmoneyed he never really did much. More recently, a black driver named Willie T. Ribbs ran some races, I think (I know he raced; can't remember if he made it as far as the GN cars). Back when Wendell was racing, I think there was some sympathy for him at NASCAR, and I know a lot of the drivers respected him for what he was able to do with generally lousy equipment, but I got the feeling nobody wanted to push it for fear of antagonizing the good ol' boy fan base.
Sure makes sense, though. The south is way different today than it was then, and there are tens of millions of potential fans not going to races now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts