Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just had my Thule roof and bike rack stolen, so now I need something to replace it. I drive a scion xd. Any recommendations?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Saris Bones. They're pretty nice, stable & fit almost anything you could come up with. They even fit on my wife's VW Beetle conv.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're looking for a basic strap style trunk rack, I recommend Hollywood Rack. Strong, sturdy, easy to mount, and I love the strong rubber frame mounts. 3 bikes. Under $60.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I just looked through the hollywood website, and none of their racks fit my car on their fit guide. Well, their only suggestion was a hitch rack, but my car doesn't have a hitch installed? Do you know of any other brands? I'm only familiar with thule and yakima trunk racks.

I'm looking at the saris racks... that gran fondo rack looks crazy...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I like the Thule 2 way. It's very compact and if you are really just carrying your one road bike; it is pretty good. You can carry another bike, but the 2 way has shorter arms, all the straps are on the rack and it is very easy to put on. Not sure if it fits your Scion, but it should. It is about $70 at Performance when it is on sale.

I was leaning towards a roof rack when I get my new car in a few years, but not too sure now. I am seeing less benefit from yours getting stolen and the thread about not taking the bike off the rack when you enter the garage,

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Saris Bones. They're pretty nice, stable & fit almost anything you could come up with. They even fit on my wife's VW Beetle conv.
I've had my Saris Bones 2-Bike for years and it's excellent. It's great that it goes in the trunk when I'm away from the car and it folds in needed. Their new simple "one bike" Solo version looks cool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tommy Walker said:
I like the Thule 2 way. It's very compact and if you are really just carrying your one road bike; it is pretty good. You can carry another bike, but the 2 way has shorter arms, all the straps are on the rack and it is very easy to put on. Not sure if it fits your Scion, but it should. It is about $70 at Performance when it is on sale.

I was leaning towards a roof rack when I get my new car in a few years, but not too sure now. I am seeing less benefit from yours getting stolen and the thread about not taking the bike off the rack when you enter the garage,

I went to the thule website to see if my car would fit that rack, but the removed all scion vehicles and just have the IQ as the only option now. It would be awesome if that rack fit my car since the price is right.

I really wish I still had my roof rack. Besides making my car look awesome, other benefits were transporting snowboards for the upcoming season. I would so get another roof rack, but with the price and knowledge of how easily they can be ripped off your car, I really can't justify getting another one.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Saris. They come in couple of different models. The best feature IMHO, is that the 4 legs are independently adjustable from the others, incase you have a hatch that is shaped weird. Something like the rear hatch on an Xterra - there is a first aid kit inside on the hatch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.