Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've happened on these while eBay'ing stuff : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...go=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4. They're in the "stupid light" range, but if they can hold fine, they'll be the cheapest way to save 60 grams I can think of. Of course, I KNOW for a fact that I will not notice the difference from those 60 grams, but it's a start in weight reduction...

Now what I want to know : does anyone out here have any experience with this type of skewers or similar items? Are they safe? Do they have a positive, confidence inspiring clamping force?

I wouldn't worry much about their flex under load, 'cause I'm pretty lightweight myself (145 pounds), but I wouldn't want to buy flimsy, unsafe skewers.

· Registered
1,109 Posts
the skewers you linked to are copies of Tune's skewers that weigh about 50g. I hate to say this, but they're probably made in Taiwan. and I haven't seen them in the store, so the seller's claim that they cost $78.95 retail may not be accurate.

I hear the Tune skewers are solid. I have a pair of Bold Precisions that also weigh 50g and also work very well.

I'm not sure that helps you with the item you linked, though.

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
roadboy said:
the last place I would try to save weight would be the QR skewers. My dura ace QR's sure dont slow me down and when Im bombing a hill at 40 i dont look down and hope to hell they hold on.
Well, same here :) I have indeed noticed that the Dura Ace skewers are very, very strong. So far so good, and I admit I'm reluctant on changing them.

If you're building an ultra light bike as a project, great. If not, you have to ask yourself- what will 60 grams saved get me?
Nah, I'm not building an ultralight bike, I'm just trying to get from 18 pounds to maybe 16 lbs. New wheels could save me damn near 1 pound, but then I'd have to pay huge money... Ditto for a carbon crankset or a Deda BlackStick seatpost. All of them = $$$ I can't spare.

What will 60 grams saved get me? Alone, absolutely nothing. But if I can do 60 + 60 + 60 +... a few times, the digits on the scale should fall rather quickly.

Then again, there's a part of me who says "yeah, like you'll ever notice a 2 pounds difference"...
...and that part of me also says I'd best save my money and ride to get more fit, but I seem to need to be reminded every now and then that weight reduction will NOT make that big of a difference, save in my wallet :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.