Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TruVativ bottom bracket keeps developing play. Has anyone else heard of this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? I bought it new. It is Italian threaded if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
616 Posts
colnrly said:
TruVativ bottom bracket keeps developing play. Has anyone else heard of this problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? I bought it new. It is Italian threaded if that makes any difference.
With the Truvativ setup, you MUST get the BB shell faced so there is proper alignment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Faced-WHat exactly does that mean?

merckx56 said:
With the Truvativ setup, you MUST get the BB shell faced so there is proper alignment.
I've heard the term. But what does it mean exactly?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
colnrly said:
I've heard the term. But what does it mean exactly?
It means the outsides of your bottom bracket are "shaved" to be exactly parallel. This is important when you have the Giga-X-Pipe configuration. When you install the cranks, you should torque up to spec, get the crank loose again, regrease and torque up again and repeat untill there's no play at all, after that you'd probably have to refasten (get it completely loose again, regrease and torque up) one more time. These babies have extremely tight machining tolerances causing some initial hassle, after that they run in and run fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Stuff like that is beyond me, so I took the bike to a shop-not the shop where I bought it. They should know about that and be able to fix it. My main concern is compatibility-I don't want to have to buy a whole new crank, bb and derailleur.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
colnrly said:
Thanks. Stuff like that is beyond me, so I took the bike to a shop-not the shop where I bought it. They should know about that and be able to fix it. My main concern is compatibility-I don't want to have to buy a whole new crank, bb and derailleur.

If you can patch a tube, you can learn most of the maintenance work on your bike. The secret is in knowing how. It's easier than you think when you start with the easy stuff. Here's a good starter for learning the how and what:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884737706/104-5463201-0835135?v=glance&n=283155

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
616 Posts
rogger said:
If you can patch a tube, you can learn most of the maintenance work on your bike. The secret is in knowing how. It's easier than you think when you start with the easy stuff. Here's a good starter for learning the how and what:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1884737706/104-5463201-0835135?v=glance&n=283155
Unless you have the proper tools (they are $$$), DO NOT attempt to face a BB or headtube or chase any threads. Screwing up when installing parts is one thing, a dicked up BB shell quickly leads to a new frame!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem solved I think

merckx56 said:
Unless you have the proper tools (they are $$$), DO NOT attempt to face a BB or headtube or chase any threads. Screwing up when installing parts is one thing, a dicked up BB shell quickly leads to a new frame!!!
I picked it up from the shop today. They had looked it up on the internet and read the directions. It seems fine now and only cost me $10 for the fix.

Hopefully it will not loosen itself again.

THanks everyone for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts