Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything wrong with slapping some cross tires on my crappy Nishiki SS build to give a race a try? Frame should be OK as far as tire clearance and durability go, but quite heavy, and might need to switch to long reach brakes. Gearing is currently 39x18, which should be OK. For pedals I would use my trusty old Time ATAC beaters.

The only other issue that I see is that the Nishiki is sort of a pink color, and I'm a dude.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Congrats!!!!!

First of all, you probably didn't notice, but you hit the magic number for posts, so I figgered I'd save it for you...
As to your question, I'd say go for it. Pink's the old new black, or sumthin'.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do it! What's the worst that could happen? (Ok we won't get into that right now).

I see guys on all kinds of bikes at CX races -- beater fixies, mountain bikes, you name it. Try it, you'll be hooked.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have a friend who actually found an old Nishiki in the woods and raced it SS with good success. As long as the bike is sound and fits, I'd say go for it. Many of the old frames fit larger tires, so you should be ok.

Colors? Who cares, have fun with it. You certainly don't need a pricey carbon frame to race cross successfully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts