Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am spending the afternoon at a LBS to try out 3 new bikes as I am preparing to upgrade. Have done a lot of research and 3 of the 5 that I am interested in are at one store. they are, Felt Z35, Scott CR1 Team and Cervelo S1 soloist.
I am 51 years old, 240 lbs. (down from 286lbs a year ago) and still dropping. I am 6ft tall and still pretty athletic. I am riding now about 60 miles a week which include a couple of 10's and 20's during the week, and a 30 to 40 on the weekend. Tough to find time between fulltime day job and part time musician. Anyway, after a long hiatus from cycling, I am really getting back into it. I have been riding my Synapse 6 for just under a year now and I am ready to upgrade. What are your views on my choices and how they relate to me?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
MCF said:
Whichever one fits best.
Great advice, but I would add:

Whichever one fits best and is cheapest. In that order

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the LBS claims that regardless of which one I like, they can make it fit right even if it involves changing stem, bars or what ever. they sounded pretty confident of this and they are a bike shop that specializes in roadbikes and have been in the buss. for a very long time. We'll see. I am going to be comfortable before I plop down 2 grand though, I'll tell you that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just went through this last week. The only real advice I can give is to allow a lot of time for test rides. I rode the bike I decided on about five miles altogether, and came back to the shop several times to tweak the saddle fore/aft and height. I had some trouble explaining exactly what felt wrong about the bike, but we finally got it worked out. I took a very experienced friend with me, and he rode with me on the test rides to examine my position. It all worked out great, and I got a smoking deal on a great NOS bike left over from 2007. I also got them to swap the cassette (at no charge) to get the gearing close to my old bike.

The other thing that really helped was taking measurements of my old bike (top of saddle to center of BB, center of seatpost to center of bars, etc.) so dialing in the "first draft" of the fit went pretty quickly.

Oh yeah, buy the nicest one you can afford that fits.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that sounds pretty much what I am thinking as well. They are figuring 3 to 4 hours for the 3 bikes.
The 2 carbon bikes are 2200.00 and the cervelo is 2000.00 so it really won't matter about price.

·
Registered
664 Posts
To get a feel for the relative ride properties of the frames, test the bikes with the same wheels, tires, and saddle if possible.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Fit and Wheels

Gimme Shoulder said:
To get a feel for the relative ride properties of the frames, test the bikes with the same wheels, tires, and saddle if possible.
This was going to be my suggestion too. Swapping wheels from one test bike to another is really easy and will give you a true feel for the difference in the three bikes. Saddle is a bit more of a hassle but not too bad for the LBS if you are spending a lot of money.

Allow plenty of time - a quick circle in the parking lot is not a test ride.

While the shop may be able to do a lot with regard to fit by swapping stems, etc. there is still a lot to be said for a well designed frame that fits your body. Take you current bike so they can duplicate the set up or at least the seat height for your test rides. Remember though, the fit on your old bike may not be proper and setups change as your riding style and body changes (i.e. flexibility and core strength).

If bikes are close performance wise pick the one you have a passion for be it your favorite color or whatever else trips your trigger.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
jaydub_u said:
I am spending the afternoon at a LBS to try out 3 new bikes as I am preparing to upgrade. Have done a lot of research and 3 of the 5 that I am interested in are at one store. they are, Felt Z35, Scott CR1 Team and Cervelo S1 soloist.
I am 51 years old, 240 lbs. (down from 286lbs a year ago) and still dropping. I am 6ft tall and still pretty athletic. I am riding now about 60 miles a week which include a couple of 10's and 20's during the week, and a 30 to 40 on the weekend. Tough to find time between fulltime day job and part time musician. Anyway, after a long hiatus from cycling, I am really getting back into it. I have been riding my Synapse 6 for just under a year now and I am ready to upgrade. What are your views on my choices and how they relate to me?
Not to throw you off; but many customers in your group [age and size] which includes me - find high grade steel or Ti to be great options. I would suggest trying an 853 bike and a Ti bike; just to see if you like it. Bikes at this level can be decades long investments; so it might be worth comparing.

Good luck and congradulations on that weight drop.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the wait is over. After spending the afternoon at the bike shop, lots of riding, lots of measurments, adjustments and rides, I came home with the Cervelo S1. I really gave the Felt and the Scott a good going through. Really nice bikes. Bottom line was the Ride was very smooth and was not much different of a feel than the 2 carbons. Maybe I am just not that sophisticated but the one thing that stood out was the S1 just felt faster. Really was fast. I rode each one about 6 miles. then I rode the cervelo another 6 before I pulled the trigger. I did switch out the saddle. I took the one off of the Felt. It FELT the best. The guy at the bike shop really knew his stuff and took his time to make sure that I was comfortable. So really looking foward to the next ride.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Enjoy

jaydub_u said:
The guy at the bike shop really knew his stuff and took his time to make sure that I was comfortable. So really looking foward to the next ride.
So you really did not need all our expert advice. Sounds like you have a good LBS or at least a LBS with one good employee. Enjoy your new rocket sled.

·
jaydub_u
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well all the advice on this forum was helpful. But this LBS is pretty awesome. It is right in the heart of an extremely heavy biking community within a few blocks from a very large University campus. Actually I think Davis Ca. was named the cycling capitol of the country. But yeah, this guy took all kinds of measurements, used some cool angle devises, a plum bob was having me get on and off several times to make adjustments. I am pretty confident with this shop and any future support that I may need with this new bike. I was there for almost 5 hours. And there was no pressure to buy whatsoever. The guy was actually surprised when I said "ok, I'll take it".

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Sounds great! I literally spent about 20 hours IN my local bike shop and about 75 miles riding three different bikes before pulling the trigger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts