Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to id an old steel frame. It has suntour gt horizontal rear dropouts, a nice looking tange fork, and long point lugs on the top and down tubes with v cutouts in the lugs following the contours of the lugs - sorry no photo.
Under some paint it looked like it may have had some diamond shaped decals.
No side mounts on the downtube for newer downtube shifters. Looks like 700c wheels fit right.
26.6mm sr seatpost. One set of bottle mounts on down tube.
It had old shimano 600 parts, with some ornamental engraving, and a nice looking sugino super mighty drilled crankset.
Looks like a good frame, about 54cm and stripped weighed 3 3/4 pounds.
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Okay, without a picture it is hard but you might try cross referencing it to Sheldon Brown's Seatpost Database. If you think that the shimano 600 parts are original, I think you can date them by a serial number on them (correct me if I am wrong). This will give you a good idea of the approximate year of the bike, its seat post size, and the fact it has suntour drop outs gives indication it was probably a Japanese bike producer. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thanks for the link, might help narrow it down some. I thought it was probably japanese, but lack of serial # seemed strange, and it seems lighter than my other 1980's japanese steel frames. Might not be such a good find after all though, I noticed what looks like a vertical misalignment of the rear wheel, a little out of line with the seat tube, not sure what to do about that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

That would be intersting if it was a raleigh. The lugs I tried to describe have only v cutouts on the long points of the top of the top tube and downtube lugs, actually v shaped, not solidtriangular. I'm going to have to try to get a digital photo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.