Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Total newb to installing shifters, but thought I'd give it a try. Can someone tell me what the cabling in the bags is for with their weird lips? It looks like the shifters came with cables already inserted - so wondering what these are for...

Purple Magenta

Also do I need some special tool to seat the tongue cap thing?

Bicycle frame White Line Bicycle fork Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
The "black cables" you are looking at in the three bags aren't cables, but housings that the cables fit inside of. Those "weird lips" are ferrules that fit into guides on your bike.

First off, I am going to ask you does your bike has externally or internally routed cables?

If your bike has externally routed cables, then this is not hard. Just mimic the routing of your old cables, housings and ferrules.

However, if your bike has internally routed cables and you are a "total newb" as you said, I strongly suggest you let a bike shop do the work. If you are on good terms with your shop, they would probably let you watch them do it. You will see it is no easy task.

The fact that you are asking questions like this leads me to believe you would benefit from two very good books on bike repair:

Park Tool Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair 3rd Edition:

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Blue-Boo...84415&sr=8-1&keywords=park+tool+big+blue+book

Zinn & The Art of Road Bike Maintenance:

https://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Roa...rd_wg=I9jsD&psc=1&refRID=SGAGA2B0AS2Z8ANP6Y37

These are both excellent resources.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
If you're asking these kinds of questions you should really have someone that's competent show you how to do this the first time. You at least know that the cables that are installed in the shifters run through the black housing that's in the bags, correct? You should learn the correct terminology. Do you have the proper tools to cut shift housing? The diagram on your post shows you very clearly how they work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts