Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to make the switch as well. Couple of quick questions on chorus vs. centaur (07). Are there any significant mechanical differences between centaur and chorus? I found a set of 06 Chorus shifters so the escape/QS aspects are out, just curious about the dérailleurs and brakes.I am not concerned about the weight difference or bling. I am more interested in will the centaur work just as well chorus now and in 3 years from now? I would rather not spend the money for Chorus but it would be easier to upgrade now if needed than down the road.

Also leaning towards the Zonda wheels as opposed to the Scirroco, any comments or suggestions on the affordable wheelset front?

Thanks!

-Nate

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would expect the pre-QS, pre-escape centaur to work as well as chorus. The main diff as far as I can tell between the '06 centaur controls and the chorus ones is the carbon levers, which IMO is a bad idea ayway. It seems like levers always take a beating and I think AL will hold up better in the long haul. I have a set of '06 centaur levers on order so my money is where my mouth is on this.

In my experience all the recent (and by recent I mean the ergo era) stuff is good. My bikes have a hodge-podge of campy components from mirage to record and it all works well and plays well together within the various 8-9-10 speed families.

the only thing to watch out for as far as I can tell is the escape/QS crap, which it sounds like you are already aware of. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they came up with this idea. If I wanted something that worked like shimano, I'd buy shimano

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have pre Centaur and pre Chorus on bikes and they both work just fine. I'd go with chorus if you already have the ergo shifters just for consistency. I wish my shifters were alloy, but I could not find any when I was putting the bike together and went ahead and bought the carbon shifters - the only carbon anything in my stable - everything else is steel or alloy. The chorus ergo shifts without the 'click' of the centaur ergo; but the click helps you kind of keep track of the scope of the shift. They're both real good.

·
J24
434 Posts
I have 06 Alum. Centaur on one bike and 02 Chorus on another and can't tell much if any difference between them. I bought Centaur for the polished levers, instead of Chorus or Record carbon.

I think Campy's making a mistake with the Excape/QS stuff, must have been a marketing instead of an engineering driven decision.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts