Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you have a 8 speed cog and a "supposedly" 10 speed crank? Thinking of getting the 105 5650 compact crank, I've got a 8 speed now, but plan to upgrade over the next several months. Just want to make sure if it'll cause any issues, or collect all the parts first before doing the swap. But it's not easy having a new part, and not putting it on. lol

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
I'd do it all at once.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wim said:
No problem running an FC- 5650 crank with an 8-speed chain.
Awesome, great to hear!!! How about running it with a triple front derailleur? Can the adjustment screws be set correctly to shift on a double crank?

·
Sucker for carbon
266 Posts
Optimus said:
How about running it with a triple front derailleur? Can the adjustment screws be set correctly to shift on a double crank?
I'd say yes but with a few caveats. My brother converted his triple front derailleur to work with a double chainring setup. However, it was really finicky and a pain to tune. It worked pretty well once he got it set up though, just took a lot of tweaking to get it to the "sweet spot". Once it came out of tune though it started being a real pain again!

I'd say if you can, save yourself the stress and just get a true double front derailleur!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
If your current chain has taken a beating, you might get a new chain at the same time. Chain rings wear with the chain, so you get better wear life by starting with a new one.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Optimus said:
Awesome, great to hear!!! How about running it with a triple front derailleur? Can the adjustment screws be set correctly to shift on a double crank?
The difference between a triple and a double front derailleur is the location and the shape of the derailleur inner (closest to the frame) cage plate. It reaches down a little further and is larger than a double inner cage plate.

But this has nothing to do with the derailleur's shifting range. That is controlled (as you correctly pointed out) by the two adjustment screws (limit screws). Just set the screws where they need to be for your double crank. I run a triple front derailleur on my bike, on which I run a double crank in the summer and a triple crank in the winter. Shifts fine, regardless. Perhaps a dedicated double front derailleur would shift my summer bike two millisecond faster, but who cares? :)

The initial set-up takes some thinking—you need to figure out if you want to use your triple shifter's 1-2 or 2-3 positions for the double duty. Trial and error is best here.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WIM - Thanks a bunch, I feel much better about the swap!!!

I plan on making the complete switch, however it will be eventually, piece by piece as funds allow, not all at once.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts