Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a TT (56/44 or similar) to train with? Just curious as to the Pros and Cons of having TT trainrings on a traing bike?

Thanks

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
I can't think of any Pros to that argument. I don't know where you live, but that does not seem like realistic gearing for day-to-day training.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
?

Never heard of "TT training rings" or "training rings," for that matter. Generally, it's best to train with what you race—specificity rules.

For what it's worth, the 56/44 combo was often used by TT riders who were riding 650 wheels. 56 x 12 with 650s = 115 gear inches, which is roughly equivalent to a 53 x 12 with 700s.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
wim said:
Never heard of "TT training rings" or "training rings," for that matter. Generally, it's best to train with what you race—specificity rules.

For what it's worth, the 56/44 combo was often used by TT riders who were riding 650 wheels. 56 x 12 with 650s = 115 gear inches, which is roughly equivalent to a 53 x 12 with 700s.
While I definitely am not adept at gear ratios etc, I know that several pros ride a 55T chainring for TTs.

Then again, those guys are nuts. I can't even spin a 53-13 on a normal flat road!!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I used a 56-44 or 48 for TTs for awhile but have found that a 54-42 is the best TT setup for me a 53-11 is a pretty big gear and I use it in races occasionally so a 54-11 gives me all the gear I need in TT for fast downhill bits and the like. I ride the 54-42 when training but its not my everyday bike I think I could train on every day in the rolling terrain we have around her but I would end up mashing up alot of hills.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
uzziefly said:
While I definitely am not adept at gear ratios etc, I know that several pros ride a 55T chainring for TTs.

Then again, those guys are nuts. I can't even spin a 53-13 on a normal flat road!!
Oh yes, some pros ride huge rings in their TTs, always have. I remember many years ago how someone had it on good authority that Merckx won all his time trials with a 55 or 56 ring. Impressionable youths that we were, a lot of us ran out and bought huge rings with which to time trial. Waste of money for us amateurs, LOL :D

Geeky stuff: if you want to compare gears, it's actually pretty simple with gear inches:
For 700 wheels: front teeth divided by rear teeth times 26.54
For 650 wheels: front teeth divided by rear teeth times 24.57

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks or the input. I do not race and was looking at it from doing something harder to maximize my effort, but it does not sound like it would be that beneficial.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Maximizing effort

SlaminSam said:
I do not race and was looking at it from doing something harder to maximize my effort, but it does not sound like it would be that beneficial.
Unless you have been able to spin out your current biggest gear, then getting a bigger gear will not help you with maximizing effort.

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
why not? If you try it and it works for you, do it!
more effort needed to push that big ring, so when on race bike you'll be quicker!

·
What Would Google Do.
1,486 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Unless you have been able to spin out your current biggest gear, then getting a bigger gear will not help you with maximizing effort.
thats your opinion rather than how it is though.
think of on the lower gears? he'll have to push more to keep on the Big ring.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Huh?

muscleendurance said:
thats your opinion rather than how it is though.
think of on the lower gears? he'll have to push more to keep on the Big ring.
Please clarify. I can't really understand what you are trying to say. Why would somebody "have to push more to keep on the Big ring" in a lower gear? Non compos mentis.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
muscleendurance said:
why not? If you try it and it works for you, do it!
more effort needed to push that big ring, so when on race bike you'll be quicker!
it really is amazing what some people think is logical and correct:eek: ...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts