Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably already been covered but I looked in the past forums and could not find it. What is the diference between a TT bike and a Tri bike. They look the same in pictures.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
TT and Tri bike differences

trekman10 said:
I know this has probably already been covered but I looked in the past forums and could not find it. What is the diference between a TT bike and a Tri bike. They look the same in pictures.
The difference may be a lot, or it may be nothing. The main purpose of a TT or Tri bike is to put the rider in a position to generate the maximum ratio of power/aerodynamic drag (while at the same time remaining within the rules of the sport). For some riders, that might mean there is no difference between the two types of bikes. For other riders, the Tri bike may place the rider in a very different position. In either case, it is generally more about the position of the rider, than any fundamental mechanical difference between the bikes.

There are two reasons why a rider who does primarily road races might have a different position on the bike than a triathlete. This is especially true for time trials in UCI races. UCI rules limit how far forward the rider's saddle and handlebars may be, so a road racing TT bike may have the saddle and handlebars further back than a Tri bike might have. Secondly, a rider who does mostly road racing may be more used to riding in their road position, so if they try to vary their position on their TT bike too much from their road position, they may not be able to produce as much power. On the other hand, a rider who primarily does triathlons will be riding their Tri bike more often, so they can set it up their bike in a more Tri-optimum way. I'm told (although I have no first hand experience in this), a more forward position on the Tri bike opens up the hip joints more, and makes the transition between cycing and running easier. The consequence is that a triathlete might prefer to set their bike up with a more forward saddle position.

Even still, the difference between "road TT" and "Triathlon TT" positions are just generaly tendencies, not hard and fast rules. It is really up to the individual rider to determine what position is best for them.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i've heard tri guys/gals like the saddle even more forward the most would recommend. this is to utilize your muscles diffrently. Thus 'saving' some legs for the run.

·
Registered
147 Posts
also, another difference along with those mentioned above is that the more forward position of the tri bike opens up the hip joints more and allows for (relatively) the same angles as sitting up on a road bike and allowing for better lung expansion and a lower position. Or so I'm told, that being said I have my cervelo set up in a tt posioion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts