Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its been discussed before, just want to know is there anyone out there really try it.
Does it work? Did it crack?
what happend

I got myself a set of FSA K Force on my Cervelo R2.5, i wanted to try the VisionTech TT Mini Clip-on. so i was thinking, should i risk it?

If anyone did try Clip-on on carbon bar, pleses share some insight. thanks

·
Type1Rider.org
16 Posts
I installed a set of Oval Concepts A910s (http://www.ovalconcepts.com/productsDetails.php?idProdotti=5&idProd1=1) on a Madone 5.9 with an Easton EC90 Equipe bar. I have been using them for about a month in preperation for a TT and triathlon event that is coming up very soon.

I have had no issues as all with the installation or use of the clip ons. Installation was easy although time consuming as I had to change some of the housing and reroute some of the cabling for for the right shifter. I also had to relocate my computer to the top of my stem. It is amazing how much real estate the clip ons take up given my 44 width bars.

I did put some bar tape on the very tips as it gave me a slightly better grip over rough terrain when sweating, and it keep part of the cable from vibrating against the underside of the clip on.

Using them is great. I just spent some time in the trainer getting them in a perfect position. I am overly impressed with how much of a difference in effeciency they make. I really thought that it would be a slight difference felt only by the more advance riders who need that extra 1.5 second difference over a 25 mile course. They make a huge difference.

I dont find them aesthetically pleasing at all. In fact I was bummed when I put them on as I thought they look kinda trashy. But after riding on them I got used to it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
nice bars

You probably know this already, but he Oval 910 instructions caution:

"Mounting Clamps on Handlebars
5. This A910 Super Lightweight aero bar should be mounted only on
handlebars specifically approved for clip-on use like the Oval Concepts R900
(carbon), R700, R500, R300 road bars or the R700 cow horn. Do not use a clipon
bar on any bar not specifically approved for clip-on use like the Oval Concepts
R950 carbon road bar. If you have questions about whether your handlebars are
approved for clip-on use, please contact the manufacturer before proceeding.
6. This A910 Super Lightweight aero bar is designed for use with an
aluminum stem with a four bolt, 26.0mm or 31.8mm diameter bar clamp, 40mm
wide or wider (like the Oval Concepts R700 stem). Use with any other stem may
result in less than optimal performance."

I've heard that the Kestrel KMS Pro carbon bars are the only ones (evidently, besides Oval Concepts) specifically approved for clip on aero bars.

Given Hincapie's escapade last weekend @ Paris-Roubais (and with an aluminum steer tube on his fork, no less!), ya gotta be a little concerned . . ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
to answer fea's original question do not do it. The carbon bar is only reinforced in the area around the stem clamp. The only other surface you would be able to tighten the TT bar to is not reinforced. Also, tt bar clamp can damage the outer carbon surfaces which can propagate into cracks and then cause the bar to fail. Bolt torque specs only tell you the maximum torque of the bolt, not the amount of clamping force the bolt torque applies to the bar. That means that even tightening the bolt to recommended torque can damage the bar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I think some carbon bar on certain brand can really add clip-on to it and some just dont.

I've Emailed FSA and asked about this, their reply was 'Our carbon bars are currently not designed to allow for any clip on or other clamped accessories with the exception of a simple light computer mount.
Doing so may result in damage to the bar and possibly cause you to injure yourself.'

Hmmm... seems like i better not try to either damage the bar or myself on this.

By the way, i've seem someone use the Oval Design Clip-on on Ritchey CarbonBar, when i ask the mechanic, he said he strongly advised the owner not to, but the owner insisted, the mechanic did help installed the clip-on, but will not guarantee anything will/will not happend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Solved My Aero/Carbon Bar Problem

I decided not to go through getting a new bar just to Add clip-on, instead I' am getting an aero time-trial bar with bar-end shifter.

New Handle bar SetUp
Giant Aero TT Bar
DuraAce BarEnd Shifter
Oval Design Carbon Brake Lever
A temporaly Bontrager Stem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts