Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forecast temperature for my TT on Sunday is 102 with relatively high humidity. My plan is to do a short warm-up with an ice-pack on my back. Am thinking about racing with a Camelbak bladder (no sleeve) full of ice on my back. Has anyone tried and/or had success with a similar idea?

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
I have friends who do the Camelbak and ice thing. When it's really hot, I use a Louis Garneau TT helmet, which is nicely vented. I also use 2 bottles (1 on the frame, one behind the seat). One is full of ice water and that goes on me. The other has a basic electrolyte mix.

·
Registered
105 Posts
you don't have much blood supply on your back therefore you wont get the best bang from your ice.
I recommend using a tall sock ie soccer sock, filled with loose ice 2/3-3/4 of the way full. wrap it around your neck and either tie it together or stuff the ends in your jersey.
This way you have some ice closer to larger blood supple. as a plus the ice shouldn't melt all the way down your back and give you a wet sponge to sit on.

·
Opus was just napping
22,392 Posts
Mr. Papagiorgio said:
Forecast temperature for my TT on Sunday is 102 with relatively high humidity. My plan is to do a short warm-up with an ice-pack on my back. Am thinking about racing with a Camelbak bladder (no sleeve) full of ice on my back. Has anyone tried and/or had success with a similar idea?
Not sure how you are going to do it...but Xterra Richmond is predicting temps in the triple digits with high humidity. They moved the race to an earlier start...but any thoughts I had at actually...you know, doing well are being tempered by finishing without stroking out.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
wet?

Other than drinking, I think the best option would be to douse yourself (hair, jersey -- not shorts) in cold water, which will evaporate and cool you as you ride. Might have to re-apply at the turn-around, so keep one bottle pure ice water only (and don't get it mixed up with drink mix bottle!).

Oh, and if it's extraordinarily hot, you might just have to slow down, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.