Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing one tri, one duathlon and scheduled to do one more of each in the next two months, I'm thinking about setting up a TT specific bike.

The simpliest thing is to through some aero bars on a road bike. I can do that but I want to explore the idea of buying a TT specific frame off EBAY. Hey, we all need new toys, right??

Sizing question: I usually ride a 58cm road bike frame. My current road frames are 58cm/56.5 top tube and a 59cm/57 top tube. I'm more comfortable on the smaller of the two. Do you buy a TT frame in the same size?? I was thinking that since I would be spread out on aero bars, it might make sense to buy a frame with a bit smaller top tube. Input??

·
Registered
425 Posts
TT bike sizing

If you are looking at a steep seat tube angle TT bike (76-78 degrees), then you would probably need a top tube that is about 1 cm shorter than your road bike. Post this question over at www.slowtwitch.com forum and you will get more answers than you want. Even Gerard (owner of cervelo cycles) posts replies there often. Also, Dan Empfield (former owner of Quintanna Roo) and inventor of the tri bike, answers quite often as well.

Mike

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Those Leader frames on ebay look pretty good for the price. Don't know much about them, but I'm tempted to get one too.

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leader

euro-trash said:
Those Leader frames on ebay look pretty good for the price. Don't know much about them, but I'm tempted to get one too.
I saw several at last Sunday's duathlon. Look like good bikes...but who knows? This would be a limited use frame: race day and some training beforehand. I would guess less than 500 miles per year.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
yeah i want to do this too, mainly to get into some cheap shimano gear and play a bit on the dark side... TT frames are very cheap... you can even grab ti ones by TST for under 300 on ebay !! let us know what you find out ! cheers ! :D

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I'm about your size in terms of my road bike frames.

My main road bikes have either 57 or 56 cm Top Tubes and both use a 110mm stem. I built a Kestral Talon SL as a TT bike last year and bought a frame with a 55cm top tube, use a 90mm stem with Vision Tech large extension clip on bars and Vision tech base bar. I am very comfortable on the bike.
The Kestral has a two position seat post and in the forward position gives an effective STA of 75.5 just for comparison to the Leaders you are considering.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Leader. I have a 715 that I bought several years ago that has since become my rain bike, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. My only reason for not doing it when I bought the Kestral is that my LBS had a Kestral Airfoil TT I really wanted, even put down a deposit on the bike, but then switched to the Talon so I was pretty much locked into that purchase.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am Not Alone

Are the sizing for Normal roadbike and TT/Tri bike different? Should we get one size smaller? bigger? or just same size?

I did my 1st duathon last weekend, and i think i fell in love with the Real Aero Tri Bike - for the looks and hopefully the aerodynamic. what i did with my road bike for the duathon was to swap out my normal road bar to a TT Aero Bar - (as i couldn't attached clip-on to my carbon bar). Unfortunately, the bike wasnt properly setup, but yet it was quite good experience/try on the Aero bar.

My roadbike toptube is 53cm and was using 110mm stem for road bar, when i swap to Aero bar, i use a 90mm stem, somehow i feel the arm rest is still too far for me. I did not get comfortable position when i rest my arm on the armpad. I only manage to rest my wrist on it instead of my arm. To rest my arm on it i actually have to sit on my the tip/nose of my Fizik Arione (those who use this saddle you should know how pointy the nose is). And i have to wrap my hand over the extension where the barend shifter is.

After my 1st experience with AeroBar in a non drafting race, i think i might get a Real Aero TT/Tri bike, to get perfect/correct sizing instead of swapping parts on my roadbike.

Here's some img of my Modified Road/TRI bike

·
DonRacer
63 Posts
TT bike

I ride very similar roadbikes (56.5-57.5 cm toptubes with 130mm-120mm stems) but my TT bike is a Cervelo P2K 55cm frame. The seatangle is steeper on the Cervelo even though I don't use the forward seatpost position. I use a much shorter stem (70mm) with oval concepts integrated bars. The distance from saddle tip to the bars is 60cm on the roadbikes and 56cm on the TT bike.
The drop on the TT bike is a lot larger, which is OK because the aerobars make it easier to support my weight and I typically don't ride the TT bike for more than an hour at a time.
Hope this gives you a few more data points :)
Stefan

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
fea said:
My roadbike toptube is 53cm and was using 110mm stem for road bar, when i swap to Aero bar, i use a 90mm stem, somehow i feel the arm rest is still too far for me. I did not get comfortable position when i rest my arm on the armpad. I only manage to rest my wrist on it instead of my arm. To rest my arm on it i actually have to sit on my the tip/nose of my Fizik Arione (those who use this saddle you should know how pointy the nose is). And i have to wrap my hand over the extension where the barend shifter is.
Your can solve much of this problem by moving your saddle forward - you've got it set back pretty far on a setback seatpost. Move it all the way forward. Even better, get a zero setback post (Thomson Elite or Masterpiece is a nice choice). Fizik also makes a triathlon version of the Arione with more cushion in the nose. Most time trialists will sit on the nose of the saddle for the entire race.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I though so

I did thought of that,but wasnt sure... haa will try to adjust and see how much improvement/different will it be.. thanks for pointing it out

·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fea...your shifters

Your shifters?? What are those???

My #2 bike has standard geometry with aero bars. I went on a ride yesterday just to re-acquaint myself with aero bars. This afternoon, I'll do a brick.

My current #2 bike setup has Campy Veloce shifters on it. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't move those up to a position like yours. The mechanics of shifting wouldn't work. I think my eventual TT frame purchase will turn into a yearlong build up...you know how it goes...slowly searching for stuff on RBR and EBAY. But I gotta start with the frame.........

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Hey Paul,

Shimano barends. Campy makes them too. Pros time trial on them normal people use them for touring bikes.

I'd recommend that you keep your seat-bb relationship the same from bike to bike. Since you have a bunch of cycling miles in you legs. With a TT set up get a shorter top tubed frame close to 54-55 in your case and use the areo bars on a higher rise stem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Shifter..

Hi paul,

You mean the brand?

Shimano Duraace 10 speed barend shifter/thumb shifter

THe Brake lever i'm using is Oval Concept Carbon Brake lever

Hope that answer your question

·
1,433 Posts