Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Ummm ... NO!

As they say, it's the "Race of truth". Without TT's just give the title of every GT to the best climber, forget the rest of the riders because there would be no reason to include them.

With out TT's Miguel Indurain doesn't win 5 TDF's ... heck, he probably doesn't even win one. Without TT's Lemond loses one of his titles, maybe more. They are an integral part of GT's.

TT's make the race for me ... I love them and the TTT ... that is my favorite race of all since it shows the strength of the "Team" and not just individual riders.

·
I love to climb!
2,052 Posts
TT's make the race for me ... I love them and the TTT ... that is my favorite race of all since it shows the strength of the "Team" and not just individual riders.
Agree with Wookie...without a tt, we wouldn't necessarily found out who is the best overall. Cancellara, Martin tear up the time trials, but since they don't climb as well, don't win the overall. Shleck, although a great climber, is weak in the tt, and so doesn't win the overall. Last couple Tours - Evans climbed and tt'ed to victory in 2011, while Wiggins tt'ed superbly and climbed well enough to keep the lead. Nibali would have won the Tour last year if there was no tt (since Froome was domestique for Wiggins).

I like the TTT as well, for the reason Wookie states. If the race is a team effort, which it is, the TTT emphasizes that aspect of the race.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
There are really only three main ways for a GC contender to take real time out of his GC competitors (assuming they don't bonk or have a late mechanical)

1.) time trials
2.) mountain stages, especially w mountain finishes
3.) If a contender gets caught behind an accident late in the day.

Why would you want to take out one of these?

Len

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like the TTT as well, for the reason Wookie states. If the race is a team effort, which it is, the TTT emphasizes that aspect of the race.
Good point... The other day I watched a group of girls beating the snot out of a stronger boys team at the velodrome. Pure teamwork when doing the pulls.

Road racing is a team sports and it's fine as is. I enjoy the most the suicide climbs of the Grand Tours, but TT and Flat stages also play a part.

That's why GT's are so beautiful, they have everything.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
TTs we need, it's prologues in Grand Tours that need to be shown the door. Fortunately, we won't be seeing one in 2013.

Wasted day, if you ask me.
Agreed. I like the GTs to contain a good mix - Sprint stages, Mountain Stages and ITT/TTT stages - gives different kinds of riders a chance to shine.

I cannot for the life of me see a purpose to a Prologue - let's just get the race on!
All Prologues need to be renamed: "Stage One"

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I cannot for the life of me see a purpose to a Prologue - let's just get the race on!
All Prologues need to be renamed: "Stage One"
It is the only fair way to begin the race. Without it all places on GC are superficial until the first successful break, then only those finishers have "real" places in GC.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I would assume prologues are more fun to do than watch. The short length makes it lightning fast (and painful). Trying to negociate corners at that speed and on a TT bike is still pretty entertaining to me.

I'm on the fence with the TTT. I see the importance. At the same time, it's the team with the deepest pockets that generally wins that one.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
There has to be some individual test to split the winners from the losers
if all one had to do is suck wheel to the foot of the final climb and then be a fast climber it would be boring

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.