Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of doing a 7mile flat TT in 2 weeks(apr 2). this will be my first. There is also an RR the same day, and I need to choose. I have never done a TT and am curious to gauge my solo conditioning against others. I don't really want to go to the TT without any estimate of my TT ability. What I am thinking is this:

- my LBS/club shop offers a vo2/LT/power test on their power-meter setup.
- I can get a test done that shows 2 things: my power output over 7miles/17-20mins
- I have a complete results set from last year and know the times for the 7mile TT: ranging from 15mins, to 22mins and beyond
- based on the race distance and finish times, and given my body weight +bike, I should be able to figure out the sustained wattage needed to finish at 17, 19, 21, 25 etc mins
- then i do a power test on the trainer for 17-22 min range and see how I do

I know this is not perfect, but shouldn't it provide some insight into my current level of conditioning for this race?

BTW - what does ot mean RE a TT when I see "Like Eddy", or "Eddie Merckx" style? I know who he is, but how does this related to a TT? does it mean you just ride a RR bike? thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmm... Let me guess. You're doing the Sandy Hook TT, and you get your testing done at Cadence?

Sandy Hook is a tricky TT because it's an out-and-back right along the shoreline. Usually going out you have a huge tailwind and you're cruising at 40mph, and then you face the headwind coming back and you're pushing to do 15-20mph!

I don't know how much an LT/vo2max test a week before the TT will help, especially since the perceived difficulty of the course is so different from out to back. I would suggest going out and doing a 20 minute all-out effort, check your average power, and then aim to keep your TT wattage at about 105% of that. At the end of the TT, you should have absolutely nothing left in the tank as you're crossing the line. Good luck! I'll be there as well.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yup, sandy hook

that's the race, but my shop is Liberty Cycle in basking ridge. I agree I don't care about v02/LT, what I want to know is wattage, and I don't have a power-meter on my road bike. basically if I can only muster enough wattage to TT at 20mph, I'll race in Newark that day, if I surprise myself(i've never been tested) and produce wattage that would put me sub-20mins for 7miles, then maybe I'll go to SH. I understand about the wind, too bad they don't move teh start to the turnaround point.

·
Registered
83 Posts
bauerb said:
that's the race, but my shop is Liberty Cycle in basking ridge. I agree I don't care about v02/LT, what I want to know is wattage, and I don't have a power-meter on my road bike. basically if I can only muster enough wattage to TT at 20mph, I'll race in Newark that day, if I surprise myself(i've never been tested) and produce wattage that would put me sub-20mins for 7miles, then maybe I'll go to SH. I understand about the wind, too bad they don't move teh start to the turnaround point.
Well, either way you're not going to be able to tell what your speed would be from your 20 minute wattage. Wind/hills/aero position/road surface/amount of coffe you drank in the morning will all be variable in your speed equation.

A lot of good guys go and do Sandy Hook, because it's a good early-season gauge of fitness. I would do it, if for nothing else than to get a TT under your belt and see how you stack up to others in your category.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,416 Posts
Just warm up for 45 minutes, while getting your HR up to LT a few times. The TT should be ridden at LT + 3-4 beats. It should feel about the same as if your head was on fire. (or a root canal without any pain killer).

·
Registered
804 Posts
We have a local TT series that is run on a flat 7 mile course that sounds similar to yours minus the coastal winds.
Good stock bike times (no aero bars or wheels) are 17-18 minutes while the faster guys on full TT bikes are mostly sub 15 with the really fast guys right around 14:10-14:20. Make sure if you're riding stock you're not comparing your times to the "open" bike category times.
Going sub 15 on a P3 with wheels and all the goodies took between 360-365 watts on average with 'normal' wind conditions. On days where my times were around 15:05-15:09 watts were down around 350.

It is REALLY easy to go out too hard and suffer bad for the last 3 miles. Times and power are better if you go out easier than you think you should as you'll find your rhythm and have better legs for the return half.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
bauerb said:
BTW - what does ot mean RE a TT when I see "Like Eddy", or "Eddie Merckx" style? I know who he is, but how does this related to a TT? does it mean you just ride a RR bike? thanks
It probably means standard road bike, drop handlebar, non-aero helmet. I don't know what RE nor RR is. It probably refers to the "Eddy Merckx hour record"-style equipment. After Eddy set his hour record, a bunch of guys using specialized aero equipment broke the record again and again, starting with Moser and culminating with the Boardman vs. Obree duels. The UCI then decided to have an Eddy-style TT rule to go with its own record, to discourage technological battles. Boardman set it in the late nineties, using pretty much the same equipment that Eddy used in the 70s, except maybe better clothing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why you want to try to extrapolate a TT time from your power output. You'd be a lot better off just going out and timing yourself on a course of the same distance (and hopefully similar profile). Your TT time will be based on pretty much 3 things -- technical skill, power output, and drag coefficient. Extrapolating your time from just one of these is probably a lot less accurate than timing yourself on an out and back course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts