Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I use schwalbe one 25C tires and they measure more like 27-28mm when inflated on my rims. I normally use Conti tubes the 28 race. These are for 18-25C. However, should I be using the "wide" version since my actual measurement is more than 25?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
No.

No need to take my word for it. Blow up a tube outside a tires and you'll see they get really big. I used 18-23 tubes on 33mm tires not problem.

·
Registered
760 Posts
No.

No need to take my word for it. Blow up a tube outside a tires and you'll see they get really big. I used 18-23 tubes on 33mm tires not problem.
yeah, they certainly go a lot bigger than the tyre they are in. On a related note though, is there any benefit to puncture resistance if you use a bigger tube in a bigger tyre as it isn't stretched as much as a smaller diameter tube?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Many run a 2.4-2.75 tube in a 4" fat bike tire without issue. Being a few mm off on a road bike is not a problem. When stranded on a rural route after a string a flats exhausted our tubes/patches, a rancher provided us with a 650 tube. It stretched on a 700c wheel and worked to get us home.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
On a related note though, is there any benefit to puncture resistance if you use a bigger tube in a bigger tyre as it isn't stretched as much as a smaller diameter tube?
If there is a benefit, it hasn't been measured because it's probably too small to notice. By the time a sharp object has made it through the tire the tube is practically helpless.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yes, since a stretched tube is thinner, the air permeates through the thinner rubber faster. Note: not the classic definition of a leak. How much faster? Hardly any.
OK, good. And, yeah, my choice of words was not the best. Thanks for getting what I meant vs what I said!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts